2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

No spark on cylinder #1 and #2

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Tippman7641 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: No spark on cylinder #1 and #2

wow that sucks, that spark one is the one i think closet to the steering colmn, the hardest to get, you know it might just be bad plug? i think you guys could be over anazling it, just try replacing the plugs, they cost wat about $5.00? worth a shot if you havent done it already

haha whoops srry didnt read you whole post, just thought your were askinfg for suggestions

Old 01-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Hoelgi is an unknown quantity at this point

@ lastcoupe: Hmm, I think a distributer that is worn out like mine after 80.000 miles is a defect. Or which is a better word?

There is a play of a few mm when I pull the distributor up, do you think this is the reason? I will try to get a whole distributor, its not easy in Germany. Sometimes I whish the european cars would be as beautiful and useful as the american ones, than I had have less problems in the last years

Old 01-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The end play of the distributor does not seem excessive. Typically distributor gears don't wear out. If they fail, they will typically crack and cause erratic timing, not selective timing... Even a worn gear should still pulse for each cylinder.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:05 PM

@swartlkk: You're right, it isn't the distributor. I got a new one today and changed it but there is the same mistake. But I figured out another thing today: I have a flashlight that you can connect between sparkplug an ignitionwire to flash out the timing. I conected it to cylinder #2. I started the motor and it didn't flash. When I disconnected the ignitionwire of cylinder #1 the flashlight began to flash. So I think there is a short circuit between connector #1 and #2. Tomorow I will try to get a new distri-cap...

Old 01-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that is quite odd... Must be something very amiss in the distributor cap causing that... When you test continuity between posts 1 & 2, does the multimeter beep?

Generally if it is leaking between two points, the spark will not be strong enough to light a test light or fire the cylinder properly.

But I must say, that is the first time I have heard of a manufacturing defect like that.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 AM

I tested the cap with a multimeter and it's allright. But the multimeter tests only with a few volts, so the plastic material between the conductors insulates a few volts, but not 25kVolts! On one spot at the inside of the cap, between the conductors of clyinder #1 and #2, the plastic looks burned. I put a gluedrop at this spot, but it takes no effects. So I will try to get an genuine distri cap, because this aftermarket part is only something like 1000 miles old...

Old 01-07-2008, 06:25 PM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

@blzr: ??? Do you mean you have the same model/color/defects??
-------------
Everything identical! minus the push bar on the front Hoelgi.
Except for my situation NOBODY can conquer it's horrible running grumbling&gremlin(s)!

Old 01-08-2008, 12:09 AM

Good news: I got a new genuine ACDelco distri cap and it works!!!

@blzr: It's an old foto, I don't have the pushbar anymore and I dropped it 2"...
Try this: With Motor in running, pull off the ignition wire of the 2nd clinder. If you can't hear a clicking noise when you take the connector slowly back on the distributor cap (sparks) than you have exactly the same problem as I. With the ignition wire back on the distributor cap try the same thing with the wire of cylinder #1: No spark, you need a new districap.
ATTENTION: Wear heavy leathergloves to protect yourself against the high voltage!

You should only try this when your districap looks like this:

Connectors:
Coil
6________5
4________1
2________3

The old Distributorcaps doesn't have this problem because there are no conductors as closed together as on the newer flat type:

If you have sparks on this two cylinders try the other 4 cylinders if there is a spark by pull of the wires. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2008, 01:46 AM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

I really appreciate that heads up Hoelgi!

So do you mean you now have installed the distributor
cap like the bottom pic,with the conductors facing up?

Old 01-23-2008, 03:01 AM

@ blzr: No, htat is not possible. The Districap with the conductors facing up is the "until 1995" modell, the one with the conductors to the side is the "1995 and later" modell. They are not interchangeable. The difference between my two caps are, the first one was an aftermarket part and the other a genuine chevrolet part.

Quick Reply: No spark on cylinder #1 and #2