2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Noise around front door or window

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:36 AM
Beginning Member
skiextreme2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Noise around front door or window

I just got an 02 Blazer with auto trans, 4wd, 4dr, 87K, and get a wind noise around the front door/window, has anyone had this problem or heard of it. It only happens from about 35mph and up to highway speeds and does not go away till at lower than 35.It also seems to increase at higher speeds or when driving into the wind. I wonder if it's from the space where the door meets the fender or roof support, as there seems to be a lot of open space there, or maybe it's from wind hitting the mirror. I would really like to cure this, it's very distracting and annoying. [&:]

Old 01-12-2008, 04:51 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Noise around front door or window

Look at your door gaskets and seals, are they dried out???

Old 01-12-2008, 04:55 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Just how loud is this noise? Wind noise from that windshield pillar not an uncommon complaint, but it doesn't bother me.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:14 PM
Beginning Member

No the gaskets and seals seem to be soft and pliable. This is driving me crazy [>:]

Old 01-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Beginning Member

As I said it gets very noticable at around 35and increases as speed increases(to the point that I have to crank the strereomuch too loud to cover the noise),and is worse when diving into a wind. I hate to say it but the 2000 Explorer that I totaled had absolutely no "wind" noise (and I always hated Fords). I just want to know what and wherethe problem is so I can fix it.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:15 AM
huskerinaz is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem with my 01 blazer. I had a body shop repair the hinges 50 bucks to repair and fixed the problem. The door actually sits to low when the top hinge wears out. tighten it up and you are back to a nice quite ride

Old 01-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Beginning Member

[sm=yikesomg.gif]Thank you. Now I should ask, did your door have problems closing? Mine closes fine and there's no NOTICEABLE movement like being low when I close it. Also, do you remember exactly what the shop did? As in; replace the whole hinge, or just the pin in the upper hinge (I had looked at another Blazer that had a bad pin in the upper hinge, but that door was hanging low enough that it showed and I never drove it).
Either way, if I know what was done, I can do it myself.
Thanks again, huskerinaz

Old 01-13-2008, 10:05 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you sure the truck was`nt in a bad accident????? I could tell ya about some train wrecks that my friend had in his auto body shop....

Old 01-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you sure that there is no door drop. I've found this to be the problem in 75% of complaints like this. Lower the window and open the door, try to lift the rear of the door-post/striker side. If no hinge/bushing movement, almost close the door-leaving it open a inch or two and try to lift it. Or notice, closely as you near the closed position, is it slightly lower that the latch that it is striking against? On some I've had success(if it is absolutely NOT pins and bushings)putting a knee against the door upholstery(carefully!), while the window is down and bending(slightly) in the upper half of the door-that is the area that surrounds the window. Careful! And allittle movement is alot! Good luck! jp PS look real close at pins and bushings and sometimes they show more looseness as the door arrives at the closed position-bushings loosen in an 'egg shaped' manner-feeling tight in the open position and when the door is closed, work in and out making this a tough diagnosis!