2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Noise you can 'feel' under your feet...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 05:13 PM
jrm000kc is on a distinguished road

I'm still struggling with the noise. I just finished jacking the front up and sticking a pry bar in between ball joints, etc. to find anything loose. Nothing on the control arms aside from the wheel feeling stiff to turn. (Is that because of the axle and differential?) The only thing with slop in it I can see is the bushing by the differential where the front axle mounts. There's definitely some looseness there. I'm assuming if that's loose it would allow the axle to rattle over bumps like it is doing. These look like they're pressed in unfortunately-I might just live with it for now because I don't think it's really a problem, just a nuisance. Anyone else have this happen?

Old 10-25-2019, 05:21 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Have you re checked the shock bolts, I did mine and I found after a few years, the shock absorber bolt on the LCA came loosen enough for the shock to slide back and forth. How about the bushings on the crossmember?

Old 10-25-2019, 09:02 PM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

Did I read that you see that bushing on the front differential is loose? If so that is probably the source of you bump and clunk.

On the torsion bar system there are rubber grommets for the mount that can deteriorate and make noise. There are about under the seats but I have a 2 door and 4 door might be different

Old 10-26-2019, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by DonL
Have you re checked the shock bolts, I did mine and I found after a few years, the shock absorber bolt on the LCA came loosen enough for the shock to slide back and forth. How about the bushings on the crossmember?
Checked the shock bolts-tight. Installed new cross member bushings last week along with sway bar links.

Old 10-26-2019, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by 2001ZR2
Did I read that you see that bushing on the front differential is loose? If so that is probably the source of you bump and clunk.

On the torsion bar system there are rubber grommets for the mount that can deteriorate and make noise. There are about under the seats but I have a 2 door and 4 door might be different
I'm assuming it's pressed in-and that you have to probably take the axle loose to replace it. Not sure if I want to bother after all I've been through with this vehicle.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:02 PM
Starting Member
ZR2owner is on a distinguished road
Default Noise you can feel but can't find.

I can almost guarantee its your hinge pin bolts on your hood hinges. It sounds like all of that you described. I looked for months, tightened, wire tied, taped, everything I could find that might be lose. There's a hood hinge bolt bushing that Chevy makes to tighten the bolts. I don't know the part number but they were like 2.50 each. I read it here years ago and sure enough they did the trick.
Originally Posted by jrm000kc
When driving my '98 Blazer I can hear something that sounds like it's loose. It's hard to describe-but you can definitely feel it underneath your feet when driving. Thinking it might be worn out sway bar bushings I replaced both last weekend-and it changed nothing. Steering doesn't feel loose (for a 4x4) and I jacked the driver's side front tire up to check the bearing-no slop or looseness. Just to eliminate the chance I pulled the brake caliper pins, cleaned and greased them with brake grease. It doesn't sound terrible-but front end noises make me nervous that shouldn't be there.

Could it be my front drive shaft turning? I've been trying to get the 4x4 working in preparation for winter. Sometimes the light on the 3-button switch will go out, like the computer isn't seeing what it's supposed to. Any ideas would be greatly welcomed. Thanks for reading.

Old 11-08-2019, 04:41 AM
Beginning Member
Bayla is on a distinguished road

There is a recall on 98 blazer lower control arm..... I hope this helps

March 9, 1998 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 98V053000
GM/LOWER CONTROL ARM
THIS CONDITION CAN RESULT IN A LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 98V053000

Manufacturer GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

Components SUSPENSION

Potential Number of Units Affected 72

Old 12-05-2019, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by ZR2owner
I can almost guarantee its your hinge pin bolts on your hood hinges. It sounds like all of that you described. I looked for months, tightened, wire tied, taped, everything I could find that might be lose. There's a hood hinge bolt bushing that Chevy makes to tighten the bolts. I don't know the part number but they were like 2.50 each. I read it here years ago and sure enough they did the trick.
I did the shop rag trick underneath the hood hinge bolts. If they're loose the rag is supposed to tighten things up and if the noise stops those hood bolts are the problem-it didn't stop the noise. I have the noise problem, passenger floorboard getting wet every time it rains, p1870 transmission slip code, a rounded off carrier gear in the front axle, and possibly a transfer case not engaging. I'm overwhelmed with all this right now and thinking of ridding myself of this nuisance vehicle that I've dropped lots of money into since buying. If I had a garage, no biggie but I live in an apartment and doing some of these repairs I just don't feel like messing with because every time I need a break I have to put everything up for fear of it being stolen. (Plus the landlord doesn't like vehicles left in pieces for more than a couple of days.)

Old 12-05-2019, 10:27 AM
Beginning Member
Bayla is on a distinguished road
Default Sway bar bolts hitting tie rods

Every time I would turn or bounce (on dirt roads) I would hear metal clunky noise....I found out that the replacement sway bar bolt end was hitting the tie rods (I guess they make them longer so compatible with other models?)..It sticks out almost two inches past the nut....My solution was sawed off the extra...no more noise A friend of mine pointed out the scratches on tie rod and lack of clearance I hope this helps....let me know what ya find out