2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

noises when accelerating & turning

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Driveby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default noises when accelerating & turning

OK so here's my problem, when accelerating a bit harder than normallyfrom a stop while turning left I get a noise in the engine area. The noise is kind of hard to describe butthe best decription I can give is it kinda sounds like a bad CV shaft or a dry/bad bearing. Its not a clunking noise like abad CV shaft though LOL. Ive checked the front diff fluid level, TC level, tranny level, the CV shafts are good and so are the wheel bearings. This problem started after I had 4new tires installed.Could something inside the front diff cause this noise? Torque converter slip? Is it possible for one of the front drive axles to stay locked in, so like 3 wheel drive? Oh yes I almost forgot I have a 2000 4x4 4 dr.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:23 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: noises when accelerating & turning

It's not a scraping kinda noise is it. It's possible that when the tires were put on that the dust shields behind the rotors got bent and now make a noise when the tires flex in a corner.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:51 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Just like chevylover said check your dust shields for them being bent!! When I put my 18's on my blaze and lowered it I had a scraping sound in the front, once i checked the dust shields I seen they were bent so I bent them back now its perfectly fine!!

Old 12-18-2007, 11:32 AM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

same problem i just fixed.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:50 PM

Well I just checked for bent dust shields which turned out to be fine, and double checked for bearing slop which are tight. One thing I did notice while taking the wheels off is that the wheels lugs on the passanger side are longer. WTF??? The lugs on the passanger side thread to the very end of the lug nut. While on the drivers side they go a bit more than halfway through the lug nut. Yes I checked to make sure that the wheel is mounted properly. The best way I can really describe the noise is its like a dry universal joint. I went for a drive on a side street where there is no traffic and with the windows down, it seems as though the noise comes from the firewall area.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:47 PM

are you sure they aren't bent, mine didnt look bent at all but when I pulled the brake off I could see where the lip on the dust shield was rubbing the inner portion of the rotor (ebrake) mine was a rear tire and it almost sounded like it was coming from the front.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: cliro

are you sure they aren't bent, mine didnt look bent at all but when I pulled the brake off I could see where the lip on the dust shield was rubbing the inner portion of the rotor (ebrake) mine was a rear tire and it almost sounded like it was coming from the front.
Hmmm well tomorrow if its not heavy rain like the forcast calls for I'll check all 4 otherwise itll have to wait till thursday. Thanks for your help guys

Old 12-18-2007, 09:28 PM

anytime, keep us updated.

here are my posts on problem I had https://blazerforum.com/m_106518/tm.htm

Old 12-19-2007, 12:39 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: Driveby

The best way I can really describe the noise is its like a dry universal joint. ....it seems as though the noise comes from the firewall area.
Check for any cables touching or resting on the PCV hose. (accellerator or cruise control cables)

Old 12-19-2007, 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Chevy Lover

ORIGINAL: Driveby

The best way I can really describe the noise is its like a dry universal joint. ....it seems as though the noise comes from the firewall area.
Check for any cables touching or resting on the PCV hose. (accellerator or cruise control cables)
Nope nothing resting on the pcv hose, all the throttle cables are hung like they should be.

Quick Reply: noises when accelerating & turning