2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

OBD wont come ready

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Rockdaddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OBD wont come ready

I’m hoping someone can help. I’ve picked up a 1997 Blazer with a 4.3. It has 146K miles and runs great. My problem is it had a code P0422 – small EVP leak, replaced the gas cap (easiest fix) and cleared code. The code hasn’t come back but I can’t get an inspection sticker because OBD isn’t ready. I have driven it over 375 miles of city and highway driving but still “Not Ready”. Also I’m only getting about 11MPG is that normal? Any help would be appreciated

Old 01-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: OBD wont come ready

is it getting up to temp? That is one of MANY, many reasons the ECM won't run 'monitors/tests. How many do you need run for inspection? 97's usually run em'(tests) within 100 miles. Also on 97's, if you had an EVAP SES lite on usually clearing the light will only clear that monitor. Not 100%(or even 25% sure) of the Mass. Laws-that is where you're from, right? Another thought- make sure the gas tank is between a quarter and three quarters full-also the(seriously) Barametric pressure needs to be a certain reading as well as the vehicles temp in relation to the ambient temperature to starting a new drive cycle..Good luck-hopefully your shop can shed some light on this/help you. You might even go to www.nysdmv.com(I realize not your state, but) there may be a link to click on with pointers that may help youin regards to emmissions inspections. Jerry

Old 01-15-2009, 06:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have to go through a precise procedure to run all of the tests. Check this out > GM Drive Cycle

Old 01-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Rockdaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Jerry, currently the temp gauge isn’t working but it is blowing warm air from the heater. It’s been to cold lately to check on it. The inspection station said that I need 4 out of the 6 tested to clear. I’ve only passed 1 (O2 Sensor Heater Monitor). Yes I’m located in Mass. I’ll check out www.nysdmv.com
Kyle, I’ve seen the GM Drive Cycle but it almost impossible to find a piece of road to run thru the procedure. I’ve got 60 days to drive it and still get an re-inspection
Thanks

Old 01-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost in the same boat Rockdaddy, but I have a question about the drive cycle.

3. Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
After the idle test(#2), do I have to be sitting right next to a highway to perform this 55MPH test?

Thanks for letting me hijack this post.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 PM

I would say yes but...I'm not sure how precise you have to be. (as close as possible I would guess) The last Blazer(an 01) that I sold (December 08)I followed a similar routine that was in the GM manual and I followed it to a 't'(done this MANY times without much success) Actually for once in my life all traffic was such that I could do EVERY step and ...I could only get three of six(5 monitors passing need to be run in the great New York State to pass) ended up having a New York 'clean air' employee come out and plug in his $5000 laptop(after I drove it 250 miles or so-many, many different days, also), we drove it-his laptop 'supposed' to aid the vehicle in running the tests and it did not work. Went back drove it again the next day-no more ran. Finally the same New York State DMV employee came out and did something to the New York State inspection machine and whola...miraculously passed. Fun, after a week and 300 miles of driving go figure. All that wasted time, fuel.......for clean air? And then you have many other states with no such inspection, hmmm. Clean what?....our wallets. An[:@]d then-you don't(in NYState) have to even hook up a 95 and older-I could go on all day....gotta go back to work. Jerry[:@][:@][:@]

Old 01-15-2009, 12:13 PM

Hey Rockdaddy-if you have heat I seriously doubt this is it. If you have 60 days-go back weekly and have him check the 'monitors'-hopefully you'll be ok. The New York DMV inspector told me he had a problem 97 Blazer in Albany that once the ABS was unhooked(who would figure) the tests ran and it passed the NY State inspection. Jerry