2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

OBD2 scanner with live data

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Thommyknocker is on a distinguished road
Default OBD2 scanner with live data

I've been searching around here looking for info on scanners that have the live feed feature and can do ABS stuff.

It looks like it's been a while since this was discussed here, and I'd like to see if anyone is using one of these and can give me some feedback.

Actron CP9580
Amazon.com: Actron CP9580 Auto Scanner with CodeConnect Trilingual OBD II, CAN and ABS Scan Tool: Automotive

Equus 3160
Amazon.com: Equus 3160 Innova ABS + Professional CanOBD2 Diagnostic Code Scanner for OBDII Vehicles with Back-lit Screen and Enhanced Live Data: Automotive

BTW this will be my first OBD2 scanner purchase, I got drug kicking and screaming into this century LOL. But I've used them in the past (loaner at oreilly's)

Looks like both will work on the vehicles I have.
02 Blazer
04 Dodge CTD

Thanks
Thom

Old 03-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

It depends what areas and data you want to access in the PCM. Those are both "entry level" units and will only access the basics. A hand held, stand alone unit, (like those) that will access almost everything, you're going to be in the $3K and up price range. There are some fairly decent PC software programs that will access waaaay more than those hand helds, for around the same money. Not sure if they will access everything, I rather doubt it though. To get full bi-directional access to all areas of the PCM, probably closer to $5K and up. Ebay sometimes has used ones, but gotta do your homework before shelling out big money. Lotta different accessories to consider also.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:00 PM
dropwiser is on a distinguished road

Can you get a wire to hook up the OBD2 to a laptop? I bet there are some hacked (or expensive) programs that could read it. Next there will be an Iphone app....hey that's a good idea!

Old 03-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Yes, the software programs come with the interface cable. I've heard some good things about Autoenginuity Auto Enginuity PC-Based OBD-II Scanner Software

Old 03-29-2012, 03:20 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

This doesnt look bad for the price and for the shadetree mechanic

Auto Enginuity PC-based ProLine ScanTool - USB version with CAN support

Old 03-29-2012, 04:47 PM

That version looks compatable with the two stand-alone ones as far as advertized features and price.

HUMMM I gota look if my older laptop is usb2.0

Old 03-29-2012, 06:30 PM

The "Pro Line" is comparable to the hand helds you mentioned. It is NOT bi-directional, (as they lead you to believe) on GM vehicles and will not allow you to access all functions, (check the "tag line"). It basically turns your PC or lap top into a fancy scan tool with a big screen. Might as well get a hand held unit, they at least fit in the tool box

Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 PM

Thanks Captain
That's exactly what I thought, rather comparable.
I'd rather dork with the little box than lug a laptop

What I really want to do is check sensors for now, maybe the blazer has a lazy o2? Or my wife has a lead foot LOL

Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 PM

There are several "tweeks" that can be done to 1996 and newer, (CSFI systems) that help with performance and mileage. Some can be done with an entry level scan tool, others require the more advanced ones.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 PM

Is one edi timming?
https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-articles-diy-29/edi-engine-timing-24373/

Ive been searching, but that's the only one I found.
Would you mind giving me a few hints?

We have had the new 02 for 3 months now. It's Milage is lower than the old 93 at 13 calculated. Edit: in town, which isn't to far out of line
It passed the emissions test no problem, and runs just fine.
I have not checked the plugs or anything yet, which I'll do this weekend. So far the only part needed was the idler arm and an alignment.

Last edited by Thommyknocker; 03-29-2012 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: OBD2 scanner with live data