2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

OD puttom mod?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Karcinagin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OD puttom mod?

I have 2000 4x4 4dr lt blazer and it has a column shift i assume because the tape deck option. but on my dads girl friends 2000 jimmy 4dr 4x4 sle there is a button to turn the over drive on/off. and it is a floor/consol shift so is there any was that i could mod a button up to mine?

Old 08-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: OD puttom mod?

Turn OD off... There is no Tow/Haul mode that I am aware of for the S-series trucks... Could you snap a picture of the button you are talking about?

You can drop down into 3rd gear (D) with the column shifter as well...

Old 08-16-2008, 08:51 AM

OD on/off button on 2000 jimmy
i would like to have it so when i am towing something i don't run it in over drive just drive.
sorry i thught i uploaded it but i didtent (will do it after work 2night g2g)

Old 08-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You already said that. I asked for more information as I can find absolutely no information saying anything about an OD on/off button. Can you take a picture and post it?

And why have a button? You can just drop it down into 3rd when you drive and OD is out of the picture as I already said above.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:37 PM

Ok i hope it finally works for me....
and it is labeled on the button a tow-haul i assume it is a over drive on/off
in gen 1 would could just shift to what you wanted.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11652/794E80669DCC41728E2BE2803FFD5C94.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11652/837BF71127B8446397F5317CEB362D65.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-17-2008, 12:45 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Interesting option there.

And the should definitely be od on/off....weird...never seen that..

Old 08-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Interesting. That is the first that I have ever seen the tow-haul option installed in any s-series vehicle. I can't even find it in any of my references and that includes GM service manuals.

The tow-haul feature on the larger trucks is an improved shift functionality which holds gears longer, quickens shifts, and down shifts sooner. It also causes the torque converter to unlock sooner. It isn't just a button though. The programming must be in the PCM for it to work.

Aside from the improved shift timings, you can do the same thing yourself while towing. If you find that the transmission is hunting between gears, just drop it down into 3rd until the terrain levels out some more. If you are towing a lot, install an add on transmission oil cooler.

To me, the feature/benefits of this option don't warrant the expense and labor to attempt to install it, even if you can get the proper parts.

Also, just to be clear, the Tow-Haul mode does not lock out OD, it just holds 3rd longer. It will shift to OD and lock up the torque converter in OD as well.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Beginning Member
tgod is an unknown quantity at this point

I can confirm this also. This if from my 2001 jimmy sle.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:15 PM
djdrew010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't OD off the back of the tranny, like a quarter of the size with an extra gear in it? or is there more than one type?

Old 08-17-2008, 10:32 PM
riceh8r0512 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want a similar option but third party there is always the B&M Shift Plus. Granted the shifts are a lot firmer then with an OEM Tow/Haul, but it would do the same thing. That's what they designed the Shift Plus for, towing. Plus it is a two wire hook up

Quick Reply: OD puttom mod?