2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Odd HID Flicker

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:42 AM
GMJimmy is on a distinguished road
Default Odd HID Flicker

Hey guys,

I searched through the forum and couldn't find the same problem I was having.

I got an HID kit a few months back and just noticed that my driver's side bulb flickers under hard acceleration and for a moment or two after, and then stops. When the vehicle is cruising or stopped, it's fine (which means it's not a ballast issue), and it's only on the driver's side (which leads me to believe it's not a DRL or power problem)

Anyone else had a similar issue? The only thing I can think of is a ground is loose but I don't know where to even begin looking.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I get this once in awhile when I pull out of my driveway. I have the relay harness for mine which took a lot of flicker out, but it still does it; typically only once per drive. I don't know what is causing it. At first, I thought it was a connection issue as one of my lights wouldn't ignite on occasion. I bought the relay harness which solved that issue for the most part. Now I have the odd flicker every now and again.

I had brought this, as well as other things, up with HIDExtra and received very timely responses (A+ customer service), but the responses contained no technical support what so ever (D- tech support). They told me I could return the product for exchange or refund and that was it. After a few times asking the same questions, they got very defensive, told me that I was being unreasonable, and stopped responding.

So, rather than reverting back to stock to return parts, I purchased another kit to gauge their quality and to have spare parts. The new kit came in with better rubber boots on the bulb wires (necessary for my Rainier's headlight setup) as well as a revised ballast design. I haven't used the new ballasts yet because I am testing out the new bulbs. The original 9005 bulbs I received were bent out of alignment causing the headlights to shine in different directions...