2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Odd rear glass gremlin?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 11:38 AM
Starting Member
Zenith is on a distinguished road
Default Odd rear glass gremlin?

Thought I would post first to see if the community had any feedback before I tear the dash apart.

I recently had the dash out, replaced heater core, and removed the previous owners install of a remote starting system while I was in there. Whoever installed it did a nice job as no wires were cut, only tapped into. Very easy, clean removal and taping the wires back up.

Problem since doing that, is my rear glass release button stopped working on the tailgate. My remote and dashboard release buttons work fine. I replaced the rear release button with a used one and then purchased a new GM button and still not working.

Car electrical is not my strong point. Any pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I start dismantling everything again.

Happy Holidays all.

Old 12-30-2019, 05:39 PM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

That is a tough one. If your dash button works it shouldn't be anything you did. Check the wiring inside the tailgate.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:51 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

What year is the truck?

George

Old 12-31-2019, 07:24 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
What year is the truck?

George
2001 ZR2 Blazer. Haven't really had time to look at it yet. It's just a very weird coincidence that it stopped working immediately after removing the remote start system.

Old 12-31-2019, 09:16 AM
BF Veteran

Ok, let’s get to work. Let me confirm:

The rear glass unlocks and locks properly from the driver door, the passenger door and the remote but the rear glass does not lock or unlock from the rear gate button. Is that correct?

George

Old 12-31-2019, 12:18 PM
Starting Member

Ok, let’s get to work. Let me confirm:

The rear glass unlocks and locks properly from the driver door, the passenger door and the remote but the rear glass does not lock or unlock from the rear gate button. Is that correct?

George
Correct.
I also just replaced the rear gate button twice, the most recently with a new ac delco.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:25 PM
Starting Member

The only other thing that comes to mind is, when I had the steering column plastics covers off doing the uninstall of the remote starter system, I noticed there is a small 2 wire pigtail with a white connector (small gauge green wires) tucked up under my ignition switch, it was not plugged in anywhere and I ignored it as perhaps a piece of my wiring harness that maybe was for the audio controls on a steering wheel that mine does not have.

Now, I'm wondering if maybe that pigtail needs to be plugged in as perhaps the remote starter system may have needed that as a bypass? Just thinking out loud here.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:53 PM
BF Veteran

Open up the rear gate to get access to the wiring for the lift gate button. First determine if you have 12V on the orange wire at the button/switch. If you do then short the orange wire first to the lt blue wire and then to the white wire to see if either the lock or unlock functions work.

George

Old 01-01-2020, 01:01 PM
Starting Member

Open up the rear gate to get access to the wiring for the lift gate button. First determine if you have 12V on the orange wire at the button/switch. If you do then short the orange wire first to the lt blue wire and then to the white wire to see if either the lock or unlock functions work.

George
Thanks George, I'll report back tomorrow, got a day off then.

Old 01-02-2020, 12:33 PM
Starting Member

George
No power to the orange wire at the release button/switch. Nor does either connector in the access hole have power to the orange wire coming from the wire loom. I'll trace that wire back under the carpet up into the dash and see what I find.

​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Odd rear glass gremlin?