2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

odd vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of
Default odd vibration

on a normal day to day basis this problem does not occur, but if i have 2 passengers in the back or if i have any kind of weight in the cargo area (usaully 125-150lbs) and i turn left at 20-30mph i get a loud deep rattle/vibration that sounds like its coming from the rear pass tire. i thought it might be the sway bar bushings but after a quick visual inspection ididnt see anything odd i also grabbed on to a few things to see if anything was loose, but no luck.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:08 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

That's a weird one...I'll be watching to see what comes up of this. The only factors I can think of would provide a vibration all the time-not just in one circumstance.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point

I would check your exhaust from the cat converter back. It runs on the passenger side and is the only thing I can think of at this moment that would fit your description. Check your shocks as well

Old 04-27-2009, 10:24 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

i dont think its the exhaust it doesnt sound like it metal on metal contact, but ill crawl under there tomorrow and im not to sure about the shocks either cuz the ride feels just fine, but ill check them out also.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:40 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

The driveshaft isn't rubbing on anything? Lug nuts are all tight? Wheel rubbing caliper?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:45 AM

all lug nuts are tight, but as far as the drive shaft and caliper wouldnt these makes noise all the time and not just with extra weight towards the rear?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:54 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mikeinwi
all lug nuts are tight, but as far as the drive shaft and caliper wouldnt these makes noise all the time and not just with extra weight towards the rear?
The extra weight (change in ride height) and added horizontal stresses while cornering could be just enough to bring out these gremlins. Also check your u-joints for any wear and binding. (could have a siezed u-joint)

Old 04-28-2009, 01:57 AM

alright thanks for the ideas, ill add them to the list of things to check out tomorrow.