Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

odd noise from subs

Old 04-26-2005, 11:46 PM
dobbist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default odd noise from subs

alright im just looking to see if anyone else has had this. for the past month or so i will ocasionly hear a high pitched noise from my subs. it usualy goes away eventual and the subs seem to be just as loud as ever so im thinking it might be the capacitor but not sure if its the amp any help is apreciated

Old 04-29-2005, 01:50 AM
FatRyan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: odd noise from subs

what kind of subs?
what kind of amp?
how many watts?
how are they wired?
do you have the LPF on?
if so, to what hZ?
what AWG wire are you running?

make sure you have your amp grounded well. check all connections well. a cap wont do this, its something else. answer the above questions and make sure you do what i mentioned. then if it still happens, ill be able to better diagnose the problem.

Old 04-29-2005, 03:31 AM

ok i know they are sony explode 12 inch not the "penta" shaped just round with a rockford fosgate 1800 watt amp not sre what a lpf is or awg i dont remember what size wirei think the power is either a 4,6,8 it was rated for i know 1000watts and i think higher

Old 04-29-2005, 03:36 AM

oh dear god. your problem is probably the fact that you have Sony. sorry to say, but Sony sux big time. youll need to find out this info in order for me to help you. can you at least get model numbers for the subs and amp?

Old 04-29-2005, 03:53 AM

yeah i started to hear sony sucks personaly i dont care they can knock out of my seat when turned up still havent maxed them.

nut what do you mean by "LPF" and "AWG" i dont think i have ever seen those terms before. um i know i have the dials that do ludness maxed or close to it on the amp and the i think frequency range almost all the way down so it pretty much just does bass lines but i'm not ot into sound systems too much my brother helped me with the set up

Old 04-29-2005, 04:02 AM

oh my god. those ***** on your amp are NOT bass *****. im not trying to be an ***, but you will totally FRY your subs. the ***** are "gain" *****. they are used to match the pre-amp voltage from your HU. go get them set at a local audio shop.

LPF = Low Pass Filter. it filters out all frequencies above the desired setting. have your local audio guys set this too.

AWG is the thickness (gauge) of the wire you use. it stands for American something Guage i belive...but thats irrelevant anyways.

who installed your system? if it was professionally done, you most likely are fine with wire guage. if you or someone you know (who doesnt know car audio) did it, it could be too small of wire.

Old 05-22-2005, 04:48 AM
deliriousvisions is an unknown quantity at this point

if the LPF isn't turned on you can sometimes get "alternator whine" which most of the time is picked up through your RCA wires, are the RCAs and power wire ran on opposite sides of the car? also does it make this noise with the engine off? Are you using a decent set of RCA wires?