2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 05:54 PM
chuckadian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil Change Question

Hi everyone,

I searched the site and google, didn't come up with what I was looking for, and I don't have a owners manual. I have only had my blazer a few months and its time for it's first oil change. What is the engine oil capacity for a 2002 4.3l v6? And what type of oil do you guys reccomend? I have always used Mobil 1 0w-40 in all my cars, is there a problem using this in my blazer?

Thanks!

-Chuck

Old 05-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Oil Change Question

GM recommends 5w30 for all climate usage on our trucks. 10w30 for warmer climates. I wouldn't use 0w40... Myself, I use Mobil 1 5w30 in my Bravada. The 5 quart container from Wal-Mart fills it up quite nicely. Almost as important is the quality of the filter you use. I use the Napa Gold (made by Wix) filters. Purolator Pure-One and Napa Gold are both excellent filters, only beat out by the filters that cost 3x more (Mobil 1, K&N, Amsoil, etc).

Oh and you can get a digital copy of your owners manual for free by signing up at MyGMLink.com
Or you can click here --> 2002 Blazer Owners Manual - MyGMLink.com

Old 05-27-2007, 06:28 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Chuck it requires about 4.6 quarts of oil, I'd put in 4 1/2 and start it, check the level and add as necessary. It uses an AC delco PF52 oil filter, and it is mounted in a remote filter location under the radiator, there is an access door that reads "oil filter access"...lol. Mobile is definitely good oil and your Blazer will surely thank you for using it. GM recomends a 5W-30, and therefore so do I. Welcome to the forum!
EDIT!...Dang Kyle...you always beat me to the post. good work by the way!

Old 05-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe... I try... I haven't been as quick lately. Too much other work goin' on that keeps me away from my laptop.

And yeah, I forgot about the AC Delco filter. It is the same quality as those I listed and about the same price as the Napa Gold and Purolator Pure-One filters. Another great filter.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:19 AM
chuckadian is an unknown quantity at this point

Great, thanks guys!!