Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Oil... Oil... Oil...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:56 AM
todaresqSL2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil... Oil... Oil...

Hey all...

I am wondering if my engine is now in trouble.

About a month ago I had the oil cooler lines replaced due to it leaking... and of course, on the crank position sensor.

In any case, about 2 weeks ago I noticed when I would take an exit ramp the "Check Gauges" light would flicker on. It seemed to only do it at that exit. It must be that at that time, the angle of my turn made it do it.

It then started doing it anytime I would turn right at certain or sharpness... but not often.

On a trip to DC yesterday, about 80 miles in I noticed a clicking sound while driving. It sped up when I went faster... and slowed down when I did. I also noticed the "Check Gauges" light flicker with less needed to stimulate it.

COuld not figure it out... until on my way back I finally noticed the gauge that was causing the problem. The Oil Pressure was about 20 when driving... and any slight turn would make the pressure fluctuate. Upon turning to the right it would drop to 10 or so. When I would brake, it dropped to almost 0. I noticed the braking & turning issue of the pressure when I was getting off the next ramp with a travel center style store.

I checked the oil and it was almost BONE DRY!!! While there was the oil on the dipstick when I pulled it out... after wiping it off and sticking it back in, there was NOTHING on it. I tried a few times... twisting it around, letting it sit and "soak"... nothing. So, I put in 4 quarts of oil and 1 container of oil treatment... the ticking sound is still there, but the oil pressure is back up to about 42 and does it's normal drop to 20 when braking.

So, the questions are... is this ticking going to go away on it's own *wishful thinking*... or is the engine damaged internally??? Since the oil cooler lines were replaced, that means the oil would have had to have been removed, right??? Does it seem like they forgot to put oil back in???

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 11-10-2008, 06:23 AM
z28jeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Oil... Oil... Oil...

You don't have to drain the oilpan to replace the oil lines. Every time I've done it, (twice now) the only oil lost was the little bit that was in the lines themselves.
But that doesn't mean the shop didn't drain the oil if they didn't know any better.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, there is no reason to drain the oil out when replacing the lines. You will need to replace some of it, but it does not even amount to a quart of oil that is in the lines and filter.

Now about what damage has been done to the engine... It is possible that the tick will go away if it is in the valve train, however, if it is in the bottom end, it will likely only get worse. Time will tell.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:31 PM

Cool... thanks for the advice.

I did call the shop earlier and the service manager said that no, they would not empty the oil. He then asked if I noticed blueish smoke upon start up. I told him I noticed white, so he was thought valve train... as you did Kyle.

So if valve train, would that noise speed up with acceleration???

Old 11-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If by acceleration you mean an increase in engine RPM then yes.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:47 PM

Yes, that is what I mean... when I first noticed the ticking on Saturday, I pressed on the gas with the transmission in neutral to see what happened... and it did tick faster.

Thank you again.