2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil Cooler Delete question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 11:49 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TMM217
Is that little piece on the differential able to be removed like the upper mount arm for the RC lift kit?
or can you cut it? i owned a 83 and a 85 s10 blazer and in order to get the starter out it hit part of the front differential mount but just barely. i took a sawzall and just trimmed the corner off of that mount to get the starter out without having to lift the motor

Old 10-18-2015, 03:28 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Took a look at my axle (out of truck) and looks that the corner can be trimmed or cut off without damaging axle housing. I think im gonna attempt it.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Beginning Member
bulldog565 is on a distinguished road

I'm not about to cut anything off my housing lol I will look at it again and post some pictures of it. I will probably in the summer go back with the lines but modify them Its just too much of a pain in the butt to change the filter without the cooler lines.

Last edited by bulldog565; 10-19-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:46 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
If it's any consolation, you're not the only one. I didn't have sufficient space on my '96 4 door to pass even the smaller filter up past the diff to the block. Not sure what the difference is, but there was not even close to enough clearance. I think it's may be the saggy original engine mounts.

I have a lot more room on my '01 Sonoma. For the moment my remote oil lines are not leaking on the Sonoma so I won't be doing the replacement until they start.
The engine mount thing might be an issue, but I am doubting it.
My 93 has 208,000 miles, OG engine mounts and tranny mount (sagged down that when you put it in reverse and back out of the driveway with the wheel to the left the fan hits the lower shroud)

and I am able to get to mine very easily.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:08 AM
Beginning Member

Sucks but I might just put the orginal lines back on in the summer I probably won't drive the thing 3000 Miles through the winter it's a vehicle just to have 4x4 through the winter as my other truck is 2wd and sucks driving through snow

Old 10-20-2015, 08:10 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by richphotos
The engine mount thing might be an issue, but I am doubting it.
My 93 has 208,000 miles, OG engine mounts and tranny mount (sagged down that when you put it in reverse and back out of the driveway with the wheel to the left the fan hits the lower shroud)

and I am able to get to mine very easily.
Yeah. I'm not sure what the deal is on my 96. If I was still driving the Blazer I probably would investigate further. It is weird though. The Sonoma that I'm driving now has a good half inch more space between the diff and the block in the same spot.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:55 PM
Beginning Member

Yea its weird though I've heard some people it worked and others it didn't. I had a hell of a time getting that filter in there and dumb *** me thought I would fill the filter first but that didn't work lol all the oil went all over my arm! Does anyone know the capacity of the pf47 filter.

I also have to say that my oil pressure went up when doing this.

Last edited by bulldog565; 10-20-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:54 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Thats what I was wondering too about the PF47 oil filter. Wondering if it should be change twice between oil changes since its half the size of a PF52. Im sure the filtration is the same.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:02 AM
Beginning Member

I'm going to look at it again seems like the only other option is to just fix the cooler lines like every one else has done. It's a major pita right now but I'm going to leave it till the winter weather is over since I only drive 13.5 Mile's a week back and fourth to work. It will be used for the winter for now this in the summer I will put some more money into fixing up the lines and the small tranny leak.

Off topic but I was looking on zr2usa forum and there was a guy on there using a 2 quart oil filter on his blazer and used a different block were the oil filter attqcted I'll have to look and find the thread when I get home as I'm at work right now.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:20 PM
Beginning Member
schrack is on a distinguished road

I use a dodge neon filter on all 3 of my vehicles, for over 2 years & no problems. Don't have to remove anything, just jack it up a little on oil pan with a 4x4 block. Alot easier on my 98 Highrider, because of the 2'' factory lift.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Delete question