2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil cooler hose

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Beginning Member
Kingswede is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have a "how to" on this with pictures? I've heard it's easy, just don't want to much it up.

How To Fix An Oil Leak: Replacing Oil Cooler Lines In A 1999 GMC Jimmy

Sorry about the triple post but does anyone know what the lines from the filter to the engine are called?

Any helpful hints(or pictures) on replacing the oil hoses? That'll be the first order of business on my "Spring Break"

Last edited by swartlkk; 04-12-2011 at 05:00 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:44 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i cut the stock ones off, very carefullly, and then used hi pressure rubber tranny line
( about 4 ft) and some adjustable clamps.

been happy with that fix, 16.00

Old 04-12-2011, 04:49 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Autozone had a dorman replacement in stock for less than $30. Remove the splashpan and the upper radiator shroud. Very easy repair.

Sorry, this is the oil filter - radiator oil lines.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Combining Double Post & multiple consecutive Posts* - Please only post a question once and wait for responses. If you have information to add, please use the 'edit' feature to include the information in your post.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road

Yeah... Took me 20mins to do it. Couple things that make it really easy is a nice long ratchet extension and a swivel socket joint. Leave the truck on all fours, and jack up the motor until you have clearance to get the old lines out. IIRC, its a 12mm bolt at the engine side. It may be imperial, but I'm pretty sure I used a 12mm and it worked great. One other thing, the clips on the rad part are a PITA to get out LOL so be patient... Otherwise, very easy job, just dirty...

EDIT : I did both lines. I dunno if the OP is doing both, but if you're just doing the cooler lines to the rad, you don't have to jack up the motor, or need an extension.

Last edited by midnightmekanik; 04-12-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Beginning Member

Ok thanks guys! One thing i noticed tho is that my oil cooler hose does not have the clips that hold it to the radiator ( it's a 95).

Old 04-12-2011, 07:25 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Sorry Im not familiar with a 95. Thought it was a 99. If the connections are threaded at the radiator, be sure to use tubing wrenches or youre going to hate yourself in the morning. If it turns out you have the clips....I have a small pick set that worked bery well. Good luck!

Old 04-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, the '95 should have the threaded connections instead of the quick-connect connections. Definitely use flare nut wrenches after spraying the fittings liberally and often with penetrating oil (especially the lower fitting). The nut tends to seize to the line and twist the line when you try to remove it (yep, ask me how I know).

Old 04-12-2011, 09:46 PM
racsan is on a distinguished road

'95 has threaded connections, much like the tranny cooler side, only larger. my '97 has the quick-connect with the wire clips.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Beginning Member

Thank you so much guys!! if i have any other questions i'll let you know

Quick Reply: Oil cooler hose