2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil Filter ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:06 PM
ishboo25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil Filter ?

Since I bought my 03 Blazer Extreme, I have had the dealer change the oil, since it was included for life. The pat few times I've noticed that they were getting cheap, not doing everything. I decided to do it myself, the filter i took off was noticeably longer than the one i purchased. Im thinking the were using one for a 4wd? does it make a difference?

Old 11-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Starting Member
86Blazer327 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not if it dont leak and screws on there easily, More oil capacity=better

Old 11-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 86Blazer327
x2

Old 11-18-2009, 03:49 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

my 2002 calls for a 3387A in Fram brand...

Old 11-18-2009, 04:10 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't feel that more oil capacity in the filter (there would have to be a really big difference in the two filter sizes) makes much difference. What matters is the amount and quality of filtering media in the can. You can take a larger can and still put the same amount of media in it as the smaller one. The only way to check the difference is to cut the two sizes open and see what it's guts are like.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:17 PM
ishboo25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

ok sounds good.... The dealer i have been dealing with is one thing after another, I just wanted to make sure they weren't doing something that could eventually do bad

Old 11-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Starting Member
86Blazer327 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats your opinion. Before I went and disected a filter I would just get the right filter in Delco.
If a filter is taller that means the filter (paper part) is taller. Most brand oil filters do the job and have oe filtering specs . If I can get another tenth of a quart in there I would . The more capacity will make the oil last longer. Its like putting a deep sump pan on it , only on a smaller scale.

Old model SBC's have a short car filter and a tall truck filter. Thread count is the same and O-ring diameter is the same. Yeah its not much more oil but Ill still run the tall one cause they are the same price and it holds more

Old 11-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can definitely get better filters.

But in my filter cutting experience, the filter from the same manufacturer and of the same model line, has the same # and depth of pleats in the short and long filters. So longer = more filter area without an increase in restriction.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:33 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats your opinion...
Yes, it certainly is, just as your statement is an opinion. That's what drives most discussions.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:05 AM
Marchboom is on a distinguished road

I have used a taller filter when it was available. But with the factories now recommending OC's at 6000 miles, the filter doesn't get that dirty.

If the filter is installed upright, I fill it with oil prior to installing it. If it is installed sideways, like on the remote filter mount on the 4WD models, I install it empty, then pull the ignition fuse and spin the motor until the oil pressure gauge starts to move. That fills the filter. I replace the fuse and start it up. Now the motor has oil pressure quickly...don't have to run the motor without oil pressure till the filter fills.

Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter ?