2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

oil fun

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 02:25 PM
freonchill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oil fun

so i took my blazer in today to get the oil changed and they said that they couldnt do it b/c i have an oil leak
so i took it to the dealer to get their "expert" advice on what was broken and what needed to be fixed

so they showed me and the entire underside of the engine was covered with "leaked oil"
i have checked my oil and im not "low"

i dont drive it that much (just to work and back 8 miles round trip) so my oil change was 3000mi or 11/20 and im just now getting to 3000 mi

anyway,

the dealer looked @ it and said they didnt know where the leak was coming from, but that i should replace the following items

OIL PAN $226.64 part / $669 installed (parts + labor)

FRONT COVER SEAL $19 part / $175 installed

OIL COOLER HOSES $111 part / $420 installed

OIL FILTER ADAPTER $84 part / $60 installed?!

FIRST QUESTION - do i need to replace these if the "leak" is not enough to loose too much oil from a daily run to the office?

SECOND QUESTION - if i were to "clean off" the bottom of the engine / oil / etc - would i be able to tell if only 1 or 2 items were actually leaking rather than all of them

THIRD QUESTION - i am going to call a AAA place to see if i can get the parts / labor cheaper there; is there anywhere cheaper (online) where i can get the parts for super cheap to cut down on the costs
would it be worth going to a junk-yard to get parts - or do i not want these parts second-hand.

thanks,

Old 05-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: oil fun

WOW! I would never go back to A) the oil change place and B) the dealership.

Have you noticed oil dripping on your driveway?

10 to 1, the oil change place sprayed the underside of your engine with oil and stated that you had a leak hoping that you would have them "fix it". And that is just wrong that the dealership would just all out recommend the replacement of all of those components without any true diagnosis. That is just ridiculous.

Anyway, you should degrease the motor, cleaning it down to fresh metal. Then drive it. See if you can locate the actual source of the leak. If you cannot, but are still experiencing a leak (if it really is there), you can get a UV dye to put into the engine oil that will make the leaks show up under a black light, leading you to the location of the leak.

With my old Bravada, my oil leak was caused by loose pan bolts. They kept on loosening up on me so I removed them and cleaned both the bolts and the threads in the block, then applied a medium strength thread locker on the bolts. Never had the problem again.

Once you narrow down the location of the leak, I can recommend further. Or you could run a search for oil leaks and find a plethora of threads discussing various sources for oil leaks.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:02 PM
freonchill is an unknown quantity at this point

its funny really, b/c another chevy dealership told me i needed these to be replaced or i would be putting a quart in there once a month or week... that was 2 years ago and ive never had a problem.
never really looked under the blazer - so i never noticed it. i did notice some stuff in the carport the other day (when i had left my car @ a friends house) but i figured it was just regular crap b/c i routinely speed through a puddle on my street and then my entire car drips.

ive never had "low oil pressure" or when i ever check my oil level its never been "low"

guess ill clean the underside tomorrow and see what happens during the week

ill keep you informed with the results

thanks

Old 05-05-2008, 02:11 PM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

freonchillWrote:
"OIL PAN $226.64 part / $669 installed (parts + labor)
FRONT COVER SEAL $19 part / $175 installed
OIL COOLER HOSES $111 part / $420 installed
OIL FILTER ADAPTER $84 part / $60 installed?!"
---------------------------------------------
...run...Run..RUn...RUN from the mentioned mechanic scam art'E'sts!..wowzers 669 to install an oil pan What-The-F

Old 05-05-2008, 09:25 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: blzR

---------------------------------------------
...run...Run..RUn...RUN from the mentioned mechanic scam art'E'sts!..wowzers 669 to install an oil pan What-The-F
Its that much to install the oilpan because you have to remove the engine to do it. book rate here is 16 hours labor at $92/hour= $1472.$669 parts and labor would be a deal if he really needed it and can't do it himself

Old 04-13-2009, 02:45 AM
Beginning Member
rsturge is an unknown quantity at this point

i replaced my oil pan for free without lifting the engine

Old 04-13-2009, 06:02 AM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

ok thats funny ... they didn't know were the leak is coming from but they wanted you to throw a ton of parts at it to fix it ... typical...

Old 04-14-2009, 09:11 AM
acidedge121507 is an unknown quantity at this point

if you do end up needing any parts, a junkyard can be helpful but can also hurt you in the long run if your not carefull. if you do ever use junkyard parts, find a yard where you pull the parts yourself. then when looking for a vehicle, find one that was in an accident, the worse crash the better, it indicates that it is there cause of the crash and not mechanical issues. its not always a gaurantee, but its usually a pretty safe bet. got a motor for my 93 mercury sable from a junkyard, trunk of the car was in the back seat, motor runs great and has for 2 years. just gotta take your time looking. good luck

Old 04-14-2009, 10:45 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by acidedge121507
if you do end up needing any parts, a junkyard can be helpful but can also hurt you in the long run if your not carefull. if you do ever use junkyard parts, find a yard where you pull the parts yourself. then when looking for a vehicle, find one that was in an accident, the worse crash the better, it indicates that it is there cause of the crash and not mechanical issues. its not always a gaurantee, but its usually a pretty safe bet. got a motor for my 93 mercury sable from a junkyard, trunk of the car was in the back seat, motor runs great and has for 2 years. just gotta take your time looking. good luck

I like that advice. Never really thought of it that way but makes sense as long the crash doesn't affect the parts you looking for.