2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

oil leak blowing back on engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 02:33 PM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oil leak blowing back on engine

I have a 2003 chevy blazer 4x4. I have oil leaks for a while that is on the bottom of my oil pan. It goes up the passenger side of engine. I have notice that oil leaking at the top part of the remote oil filter, where the lines go into it. Could oil be blowing back from that spot to all over the engine?

Old 11-28-2015, 08:30 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Absolutely.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:51 AM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you think I should replace the whole oil line or could I get by replacing just the o-rings?

Old 11-29-2015, 03:06 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If the O ring is leaking, that will fix the leak If a crimp, or the line is leaking, replacing the O ring won't do a thing.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:55 PM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kmartin
I have a 2003 chevy blazer 4x4. I have oil leaks for a while that is on the bottom of my oil pan. It goes up the passenger side of engine. I have notice that oil leaking at the top part of the remote oil filter, where the lines go into it. Could oil be blowing back from that spot to all over the engine?
What side is the oil cooler line located on?How many miles to you have on her?Rule of thumb..Once you start working on a certain part,chances are something else will fail somewhere else down the line, on the same part.Let`s say in your case, you start tugging and pulling to change a o-ring,or wanna change a clamp?Chances of causing another leak, becomes very high.If you want to do it right,not have to worry about it for a good while?Replace the whole oil cooler line set up.That way you know you`ll have a piece of mind,knowing you`ve taken care of the oil leak!!

Old 12-01-2015, 06:46 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Toocute350
What side is the oil cooler line located on?How many miles to you have on her?Rule of thumb..Once you start working on a certain part,chances are something else will fail somewhere else down the line, on the same part.Let`s say in your case, you start tugging and pulling to change a o-ring,or wanna change a clamp?Chances of causing another leak, becomes very high.If you want to do it right,not have to worry about it for a good while?Replace the whole oil cooler line set up.That way you know you`ll have a piece of mind,knowing you`ve taken care of the oil leak!!
Not everyone has money or time to do timely or spendy replacements.
They just want to fix the issue.

Hey, at least on this post you did not tell them to get their parts from summit.

Replacing the o-ring will not likely cause another leak, Not much needs to be moved for the job to be done...

Old 12-02-2015, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by richphotos
Not everyone has money or time to do timely or spendy replacements.
They just want to fix the issue.

Hey, at least on this post you did not tell them to get their parts from summit.

Replacing the o-ring will not likely cause another leak, Not much needs to be moved for the job to be done...
Instead of hickeling me about summit racing?Let`s find out where the leak is coming from.He just assumes it`s coming from the o rings.He doesn`t really know for sure where the leak is coming from.He mentioned a leak going up the passenger side.He never fully explained where the leak is located at on the passenger side.Is the leak present just on the oil pan, or is the oil present all the way up to the valve covers?We don`t know.He never mentioned how many miles he has on his ride either.If he has over 150,000 miles on his ride?I would recommend him to replace the cooler lines assembly altogether, not just change the o rings.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:22 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

I need a new air filter, but I'm thinking of just replacing the entire engine. I'd hate to cause further issues by moving a wire or air duct . With a rebuild from summit of course!!

Anyway... Kmartin, I would suggest cleaning/degreasing at least the the area around the remote oil filter and the oil pan. Then you should be able to get a better look at where things may be leaking. If oil seems to be leaking from the o rings - lucky you! Swap in a new set. More than likely the oil is leaking from the oil lines at the crimps and dripping down onto the remote filter. It isn't THAT hard to swap in a new set of lines. Then you can take your time and modify the old set to eliminate leaks as the set you just installed will leak at some point

There have also been posts about oil pan bolts becoming loose allowing leaks around the pan.

Bottom line, clean things up and look around (oh and park over cardboard��)

Old 12-02-2015, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by CWBDDSPC
I need a new air filter, but I'm thinking of just replacing the entire engine. I'd hate to cause further issues by moving a wire or air duct . With a rebuild from summit of course!!

Anyway... Kmartin, I would suggest cleaning/degreasing at least the the area around the remote oil filter and the oil pan. Then you should be able to get a better look at where things may be leaking. If oil seems to be leaking from the o rings - lucky you! Swap in a new set. More than likely the oil is leaking from the oil lines at the crimps and dripping down onto the remote filter. It isn't THAT hard to swap in a new set of lines. Then you can take your time and modify the old set to eliminate leaks as the set you just installed will leak at some point

There have also been posts about oil pan bolts becoming loose allowing leaks around the pan.

Bottom line, clean things up and look around (oh and park over cardboard��)
Man I thought I was the only one who shops at summit racing.Your the first person that mentioned summit besides me.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

LMAO!

Quick Reply: oil leak blowing back on engine