2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Oil Line, Block Side

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 10:43 PM
matt4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Line, Block Side

How are you suppose to take off the oil line from block to filter?
98 Blazer 4dr 4x4

So theres a "block" like thing where the hard line hose bolts onto at the engine block, then that bolts onto the engine block. Cant get at the hose bolts, but I can unbolt the 2 vertical bolts on the "block thing", unbloted the filter connection bolts, unbolted the rubber/metal clamp. Along with the 2 "skid plates", cant believe they used torx bolts on the TC plate.

Cant slide the assembly out, without unbolting and lowering the transfercase. Theres got to be an easier way, how do you get at the hose bolts on the engine block side?

I think mine might be leaking from that area. I can easily enough cut the hose, take out the metal crimp leaving the nub, and rehose it and use clamps. If I am going to do this I want to make damn sure it aint going to leak again. Its frustrating, was on my back today at the junk yard on a 98 Jimmy getting all greasey, wet and cold.

Almost had a F-it moment and wanted to slam 20 beers back. Decided not to.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:58 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

Here's what I did on my '98 Jimmy: unbolt the hose fitting from the oil filter adapter. To do that, run a long extension with the appropriate socket and a universal joint in from the front. That should give you a way to remove the bolt. With that part disconnected you caa pull the lines forward along the side of the block and remove them. Your truck may have a loop holding the lines to the side of the block. If so, remove it.

With that out of the way you can unbolt the adapter from the bottom of the block. You may need to remove the front drive shaft from the differential to have clearance. Once you have room you can rotate the adapter and drop it straight down.

While everything is disconnected you should clean all surfaces and replace all gaskets and seals. If you look through the forums here and on the other S-10 sites you should be able to find some other descriptions of the procedure which may be helpful.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:38 PM
Starting Member
BrandonJV is on a distinguished road

Easiest thing to do is unbolt the lines so they're completely free, then put a 2x4 block of wood on a jack and raise the motor up. You dont even have to jack it up a whole inch, just about a half inch... The lines will be totally free. Dont worry about unbolting the motor mount, I did and realized it didnt even move out of place. Hope this post wasn't too late!

Old 01-21-2015, 08:07 PM
jmx13reaper is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BrandonJV
Easiest thing to do is unbolt the lines so they're completely free, then put a 2x4 block of wood on a jack and raise the motor up. You dont even have to jack it up a whole inch, just about a half inch... The lines will be totally free. Dont worry about unbolting the motor mount, I did and realized it didnt even move out of place. Hope this post wasn't too late!
X2 worked like a charm for me. After 2 hours of fighting with it lol

Old 01-22-2015, 12:05 PM

Not too late, was planning on a temporary fix of ziplock bag wrapped around blue shop paper towel then zip tied.

Another idea I had was to snip the rubber hose, and see if I could take it out rearword. New gasket on whatever that thing is on the block, and buy some new hose, and clamp it.

I will tell you this, when I was trying to undo it originally, the vehicle itself was up on blocks in the junkyard. So the wheels were just hanging loose. But the pushing the engine upward, hopefully works. I cant picture it in my head. Push engine up, bolted to frame. Guess theres a bit of squeeze on the mounts. Just enough 1/2" you say. Might work. Good enough to give it a try.

Renting a Do-It-Yourself bay one of these days.

Going to pound out
- Remote Oil Line
- Pitman/Idler Arm
- Bushings
- Brake Pads
- Brake Rotors
- Parking Brake

Old 01-25-2015, 09:08 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

The remote oil lines have by far been the worst thing I've had to do on my Blazer. Said I would never do them again after I got it done. Then they started leaking again, I mean POURING oil out! Turns out the o-ring gaskets I had didn't work. So I had to do it a second time. This time, I had the proper "figure 8" gasket, and it hasn't leaked since.

So get the right gasket!

And the bolt holding the lines to the adapter on the block is TERRIBLE to get to! Stack a bunch of extensions, maybe a swivel, and curse alot. You'll finally get it.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:24 AM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by matt4x4
How are you suppose to take off the oil line from block to filter?
98 Blazer 4dr 4x4

So theres a "block" like thing where the hard line hose bolts onto at the engine block, then that bolts onto the engine block. Cant get at the hose bolts, but I can unbolt the 2 vertical bolts on the "block thing", unbloted the filter connection bolts, unbolted the rubber/metal clamp. Along with the 2 "skid plates", cant believe they used torx bolts on the TC plate.

Cant slide the assembly out, without unbolting and lowering the transfercase. Theres got to be an easier way, how do you get at the hose bolts on the engine block side?

I think mine might be leaking from that area. I can easily enough cut the hose, take out the metal crimp leaving the nub, and rehose it and use clamps. If I am going to do this I want to make damn sure it aint going to leak again. Its frustrating, was on my back today at the junk yard on a 98 Jimmy getting all greasey, wet and cold.

Almost had a F-it moment and wanted to slam 20 beers back. Decided not to.
Are u seriously using oil lines from a junk yard?????they are cheap enough... I didn't use acdelco when I put my motor in, then the after markets started to leak within 6 mths....hoses just fell apart....so I warrantied those, but if a repair arises again I will just cut them off and replace with hydraulic lines.....

Old 01-26-2015, 05:50 PM

The plan was to use one from the junkyard and replace the hoses and gasket.

It was a two-fold plan, practice on junker before I work on mine, and I could be easily mobile to go to different stores to find the best hoses for my money.

When my blazer is up on the hoist at the DIY garage, with hoses out = no can drive anywhere! I know what size of hose it is now. Just got to book my hoist.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:49 PM
Starting Member
Bagherra is on a distinguished road

Where did u get the hose from?

looks like I need to do my oil lines In the near future. Are you doing the clamp fix?

Old 01-26-2015, 07:50 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by matt4x4
The plan was to use one from the junkyard and replace the hoses and gasket.

It was a two-fold plan, practice on junker before I work on mine, and I could be easily mobile to go to different stores to find the best hoses for my money.

When my blazer is up on the hoist at the DIY garage, with hoses out = no can drive anywhere! I know what size of hose it is now. Just got to book my hoist.
Ahh I see!!!! thought maybe u were trying to be super cheap......haha

Quick Reply: Oil Line, Block Side