2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

oil pressure...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:57 PM
4x4willywill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default oil pressure...

ok so right after i got the truck running i noticed the oil pressure gauge would be above the 40 mark then when at a light it would drop to the 1/4 (quarter) mark .... then Today on my way home i was goin bout 30mph, and then the "CHECK GAUGES" light came on and i looked down sure enough the oil gauge was sitting at "0" bupkiss! NADA!

right off the bat i knew had to be oil pump so i turned off at the light and waiting till was green then cranked it back up....and sure enough the"SERVICE ENGINE SOON" light was on and started sputtering whileigot back up to 30mph and 100ft b4 i got into my driveway it started a little ticking noise so i knew for sure it was the oil pump gone out ...

ANYWAY my question has anyone ever changed the pump WITHOUT taking the engine out of the truck???? can it be done with just taking off the engine mounts and tilting the engine and trans up some?????

and does anyone recommend any certain brand oil pumps?

Old 01-08-2008, 06:02 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: oil pressure...

This may answer some of your questions
https://blazerforum.com/m_115090/tm.htm

Old 01-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... You decided to start it back up after having the gauge read zero??? Sounds like pulling the motor is going to be a requirement to replace those spent bearings...

Old 01-08-2008, 06:38 PM

the ticking i heard was higher up in the engine and it didnt start till after like 1minute. Doesn't the oil pretty much soaks the bearing on the crankshaft ??

anyways im just gonna do the pump and see what happens (due totime restrictions) ... if anything else goes wrong i will just replace the whole engine

Old 01-08-2008, 06:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you had zero oil pressure, then you didn't have enough oil on the crank bearings to do anything but shut it off and call for a tow... I hope it is ok.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Jharper is infamous around these partsJharper is infamous around these parts

same thing happend to me, all my bearings are gone! good luck with the motor, you probly messed up your lower end by starting it back up.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:55 PM

well when you have no money for a tow and your literally 500yrds from home ... "whatta ya gonna do brother" lol

btw 10points to person who knows the quote lol

Old 01-08-2008, 08:04 PM

btw ... can anyone gimme a list of stuff i MUST get to do the repair?? ..

since im prolly gonna want to replace the bearings now, and O.pump, what else should i replace?

1.oil pump
2.crank bearings
3. oil pan gasket.
4. oil filter and oil (due to any shavings im guessing)
anything else im missing????

Old 01-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Jharper is infamous around these partsJharper is infamous around these parts

quote is Hulk Hogan, anyways first you need to find out what all is bad, to do that you have to pull the motor. pull the oil pan off and see if your crank bearings are bad, if they are, you need to get all new bearings, and your crank turned (reground), while you have the motor open i would do cam bearings also and check your piston rings to make sure none are toast. you also want to do a timing chain and gears because whenyou spin a bearing your timeing is thrown off,i had the same thing happen to my blazer that happend to yours, but stupid me drove it 2 days with it knocking. so my crank couldnt be saved. yours should be able to, its gonna cost me 1900 to get mine fully rebuilt, hopefully you wont run into the same problem.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:47 PM

lol good call...

but yeah i literally had it running for 5 minute TOTAL once the needle bottomed out ... so im pretty sure i didnt spin a bearing or ruin the crankshaft cause the ticking i heard was the same as if you were 1qt low on oil ... also a full rebuild is out of the question due to money wise ... but a semi rebuild is possible and a gasket set minus head gaskets

Quick Reply: oil pressure...