2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

OMG! Im on IDIOT!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Starting Member
tdbone1 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation OMG! Im on IDIOT!

Hi all

been working on my car for past couple days trying to find a short to ground.
mostly inside under dash (BCM, DLC, Splice Pack 201 and basically just in that area)

well guess what
i hooked everything back up how it was (along with the same short to ground that was there before i started)
the car ran fine basically (just a little rough and not that great of gas mileage but it did run)
so like i said i put it all back together and started it up and went in the house for about 15mins
came back out and shut it off (but i thought i seen a new warning light i hadnt seen before)

so i started it back up and i seen my ABS, Security and BATT lights were all on.

i was like WTF
so i shut the car off and ran back in house to get my volt meter and the door shut on the truck and guess what?
i locked my only set of keys in the car.

my hood is open but all my tools are inside the vehicle

anyone know how i can unlock the doors the easiest way?
god im so stupid

after i get in the car i will start to worry about all me new warning lights but i need to get in the car first i think.

thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:43 PM
spittybays

A mirror placed across were you can see the inside door you will be working on. A coathanger and alot of patiance.
Just be happy you shut it off, I always due it with it running.

Cop friend with a slim jim.

Somebody who has a triple A card you can use.

Last, call the the tow places around and see who will do a lockout the cheapest.

Last edited by spittybays; 12-22-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:46 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

yep. coathanger,2 beers,and a few words with yourself lol

Old 12-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Starting Member

i rolled my windows all the way to the top because of the snow.
so they are jammed pretty good.

when using a coat hanger do i try and put it in between the glass and the metal door frame or in between the metal door frame and the car body frame?

my drivers door does not shut all the way because of the latch assy so the door is a tiny bit not closed as the other doors
its still closed but just not tight

since i have another car and the blazer is in my driveway with the keys in it i will just wait until monday when GM dealership opens.
i read if you have an id that matches the registration you can go into GM and they will make you a new key for a few dollars
i will probably do that if it really is only a few dollars.

Last edited by tdbone1; 12-22-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:35 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I have an extra spare on a clip hanging underneath for just an occasion

Old 12-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Beginning Member
OhioLefty is on a distinguished road

Google or YouTube "unlocking car with a tennis ball". Might work for you.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:05 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Default This is easy

Get something flat like a crow bar.Just something flat enough to where you can get through the side of the door where it closes.Dont go crazy but pry it open enough to where you can get a coat hanger inside to where the where you can to the latch that opens the lock.push it with the coat hanger and you should be inside.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:18 PM
spittybays

Yes, I don't no the price, make sure you have good paperwork. GM sent a letter. People were just showing up with the vin off the dash and clippping cars. You might be able to get a none chipped key cheaper cause it's only for entry and no passlock issues.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Starting Member

GM wasnt going to be open until Wednesday so i decided to try and do it myself.
i couldnt stand it being out in my drive way just sitting there when i had a bigger problem to worry about (my security, abs and batt light) so i found two wood shims and put some dawn dish liquid on them (no water as its like 12F out right now and water would freeze quick) and i slid them in towards the front of the door (close to when the top corner starts to come down at an angle) and left a space in between them (directly over the door unlock button) and i took my antenna off (didnt have a metal coat hanger) and i read the antenna part on google and it worked great
only had to do a slight bend and bam
this is outside 10F weather with very minimal light (one of those led headlight that goes on your head but mine has to be held in hand cause strap is broke) and when ever i would get close to the glass to look to see where the antenna was lining up it would fog my window so i had to hold my breath everytime i was trying to guide it on the lock/unlock button
only took about 3-5 mins after i got the wood shims in right spot

im gonna get a key made ASAP
i tried at walmart a few weeks ago when i was getting a tire patched but they didnt have any of that key style

lol

Old 12-22-2012, 09:19 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I was working on a Toyota previa and the doors would lock automaticly when the engine is running after a minuete or so. (Does not have to be shifted into Drive) I just got done putting in new plugs and a fuel filter. I started the van to check for leaks and the driver side door closed than I heard click. The engine is running in my shop. The distributer is underneath the van so I was able to pull the coil wire to kill the engine. I had an access panel off the passenger side that allowed access to the plugs which also open to the underneath the van. From underneath I was able to fish a wire up to the power door lock switch and unlock the vehical.

Quick Reply: OMG! Im on IDIOT!