2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

only starts with use of starting fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 10:03 AM
samot is on a distinguished road
Default only starts with use of starting fluid

Hi! This Blazer runs fine once started. Problem is it will not start unless we use starting fluid, turns right over and all is fine. Starting fluid must be used for each startup, vehicle warmed up makes no difference. This is a '98, 6 cyl, auto with 4 WD. Any ideas? thx!

Old 06-03-2014, 11:50 AM
Tranzman is on a distinguished road

Try stepping on the gas as you crank it. A little throttle adds air to the mix. full throttle on crank is a clear flood mode. NO injector pulse so no fuel spray from injectors. Check your fuel pressure and make sure it is with in spec. if is is supposed to have 55PSI and only has 45 it will run but not start easily. Also the engine will run OK once running. Fuel systems work with PSI & volume. we don't measure volume of flow but it is the more important factor in the running of engines. you can't have one without the other but if either is down it's in a bad way. go to Airtex's web site and check out the videos. it's great info...
Tranzman

Old 06-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Tranzman is on a distinguished road
Default a different thread similar issue

Saw this thread thought you may figure out the issue with this.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine...g-fluid-84541/

Old 06-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Default Thank You

thx Tranzman. The problem has progressed. Now if it starts using spray it may keep running when put in gear it may not. My daughter, her truck, tells me her boy friend and a friend of his replaced the fuel pump several months ago. So pump should not be the problem. Going to do suggested tests anyway to try and eliminate bad pump.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

From what you describe, chances are pretty good that you've got a worn out pump. Check the link that tranzman posted. If you have questions, just ask. The fuel delivery system is simple and quick to accurately diagnose. Aftermarket pumps should be avoided, especially Airtex. Use AC Delco or Delphi only on this engine. Yup, it'll cost more, but you won't have to replace it again any time soon. They're good for 100K miles... Aftermarket pumps: some don't even make it out of the box!

Old 06-11-2014, 08:47 AM

Turns out it is a warn pump. A pump that was installed about 2 months ago. I say the name if i had it here in front of me. Tested pressure and it would not raise above 48 psi. Thanks for the knowledge found here.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:27 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Glad you found it. Thanks for posting back.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:18 PM
Starting Member
Philip Ruby is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
From what you describe, chances are pretty good that you've got a worn out pump. Check the link that tranzman posted. If you have questions, just ask. The fuel delivery system is simple and quick to accurately diagnose. Aftermarket pumps should be avoided, especially Airtex. Use AC Delco or Delphi only on this engine. Yup, it'll cost more, but you won't have to replace it again any time soon. They're good for 100K miles... Aftermarket pumps: some don't even make it out of the box!
I replaced my pump like a week ago and it still does this bs

Old 03-25-2020, 02:41 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Philip Ruby
I replaced my pump like a week ago and it still does this bs
note that a bad regulator can cause the same issues, they are just a less common (compared to the fuel pump) failure.