2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 vortec v-6 starts only with starting fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:29 AM
W_evo8 is on a distinguished road
Default 95 vortec v-6 starts only with starting fluid

Hey everyone I'm new to this forum and have had some recent trouble with my blazer starting. If left over night it will only start if I spray some carb cleaner into the throttle body. I can hear the fuel pump whine when I turn the key to the on position but still won't start without the carb cleaner. If it sits for a couple hours or less it usually starts right up. Is there a certain sensor that I need to replace or anything that needs to be checked? I've got 175,000 miles on it so I'm sure something probably needs to be replaced.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 08-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Beginning Member
Jaxxon is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem on my 01 Blazer so I don't know if it will be the same problem. It turned out to be a pressure problem with the fuel pump. There needs to be a min PSI on the fuel pump for it to pump enough fuel on start up. Once the car started it was fine because, I was told, you need 10 PSI less to keep the car running then you do to start the car. If memory serves me right the pump needed 60 PSI to start and only 50 PSI to run. The reason it will start only after a few hours is because there is still enough fuel in the carb to get it started but if left over night the fuel will evaporate enough to make a difference. But then again I might be talking out of my *** and with it being a carb and not fuel injected the pump play no part in it what so ever.

Quick edit. Just found out my 0 on the keypad don't work

Last edited by Jaxxon; 08-09-2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: keyboard fail
Old 08-09-2009, 04:30 PM
rafa.jrbarajas is on a distinguished road

the fuel pump has to have 55 to 60 psi......................
i had the same problem it turned out to be the fuel filter was getting clogged up slowly

Old 08-09-2009, 06:06 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaxxon
I had a similar problem on my 01 Blazer so I don't know if it will be the same problem. It turned out to be a pressure problem with the fuel pump. There needs to be a min PSI on the fuel pump for it to pump enough fuel on start up. Once the car started it was fine because, I was told, you need 1 PSI less to keep the car running then you do to start the car. If memory serves me right the pump needed 6PSI to start and only 5PSI to run. The reason it will start only after a few hours is because there is still enough fuel in the carb to get it started but if left over night the fuel will evaporate enough to make a difference. But then again I might be talking out of my *** and with it being a carb and not fuel injected the pump play no part in it what so ever.
Both your '01 and and the OP's '95 are fuel injected, not carb'ed, and need ~55psi to start.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Beginning Member
Jaxxon is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Both your '01 and and the OP's '95 are fuel injected, not carb'ed, and need ~55psi to start.

Oh OK, was not sure, thanks for pointing that out. I'm still learning about the different models and getting to know mine a lot better.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:35 AM
W_evo8 is on a distinguished road

Alright that all sounds logical, I bet the fuel filter needs to be replaced with the amount of milage it has. As far as the fuel pump needing a certain amount of PSI to start would the be the pump itself or the FPR? Is there any way to test to see if they're still good? Thanks for your posts!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:35 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

It is the pump itself that makes the pressure and you test it by measuring the psi with a fuel pressure gauge.