2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Open Loop Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 07:25 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hooray for you! Now you've got me thinking maybe I've been a bit too accepting of my crappy mileage......

Old 12-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Survivor is on a distinguished road

Yea I have a buddy with a 2001 4dr 2wd...just scanned his computer and I'm getting reading similar to mine before the injector swap and he is getting 15-16mpg...We are going to hit his this weekend probably... I will post results

Old 12-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RonJon
Hooray for you! Now you've got me thinking maybe I've been a bit too accepting of my crappy mileage......
I never want to have to get back into my intake manifold again... but then again, 20-somethin' is easier on the wallet then 14.825! I wonder if that would work on a '98.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-20-2009, 03:12 PM

Friends 2001 4dr 2wd is now getting 20-21 after a 100 mile trip...My mileage appears to be a little better, most likely a result of a free flowing exhaust and a little lighter on the pedal.

Both of us replaced the old spider injection kit with an aftermarket injection kit that has the solenoid and poppet nozzle in one unit. Unlink the factory injection kit. $299.99 at autozone but after about 6000 miles...they are paid for in what you will save on gas...

Thinks to look for:
-Poor Mileage 12-15 even on the highway
-Rich mixture (Lots of soot in the manifold or even in exhaust) Or even a lawn mower smell from your car after you park it.
-Lack of power (It seems like even bigger trucks are passing you up off the green light)
-Engine still seems to run fine but seems to "skip a beat" at around 2500 when you accelerate harder

Those are just some of the obvious

Old 12-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Banned

Hi,

I am about to calculate my gas mileage again, and if it is real low, I was going to try this fix. I assume you are talking about the GP Sorensen SCPI to MFI kit. Just a quick question about that, does it have the fuel pressure regulator in it or is that a separate unit? If it is separate, do I have to replace that when I replace the spider? Thanks!

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-26-2009, 05:18 PM

Yes those are the ones... Make sure though before you drop the $300 that this is indeed your problem. If it is though, these injectors are defiantly worth the extra money.

Right now because of the holidays I only have racked up 150 miles, but I will post a fuel economy around 300 - 350 to give a more long term tank mileage.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

Alright, I'm not too sure anymore:

I just got a scangauge II and did about 100 miles of distracted driving with it today . Here's the scoop:
If I drive like everyone else, I get 12-15 on 87 octane,
If I REALLY REALLY REALLY conserve, I can get 21.6 on 87 or 22.0 on 93.
I am sucking about 2.5-2.9 GPH cruising, and about 6.9 at 50% throttle and 10.3 at 75% (didn't floor it because I was trying to keep my average up)

The car went into closed loop around 150-160 *F and hung around 193 while cruising.

I got 138 MPG going down a hill in neutral and 4-somethin under hard acceleration.

I think that is pretty normal for these vehicles and there isn't a whole lot more I can do. What do you think?

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-26-2009, 05:35 PM

Well 2.5 gph assuming your cruising at 50mph is pretty good that should equate out to about 20 mpg. But if this is your absolute best mileage you will ever see...Me and My buddy were getting averages of 20+ even while mixing in some city.

Does your scan tool report GPH? or did you use the MAF to calculate?

Also we are using good gas, so you could probably add on 2mpg max, we live in Florida and don't really have winter gas

Last edited by Survivor; 12-26-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Survivor
Well 2.5 gph assuming your cruising at 50mph is pretty good that should equate out to about 20 mpg. But if this is your absolute best mileage you will ever see...Me and My buddy were getting averages of 20+ even while mixing in some city.

Does your scan tool report GPH? or did you use the MAF to calculate?

Also we are using good gas, so you could probably add on 2mpg max, we live in Florida and don't really have winter gas
22 is the absolute best I can do without turning the engine off and pushing it. I was doing highway speed most of the time.The scan tool does give GPH but I have no idea if it asks for it from the computer or calculates it. When I was using the 87, it was generic gas from the town's ma & pa gas'n'go, then I used up half of that and filled up with premium from a known good BP. It is winter gas though.

The engine does also use quite a good amount of fuel at idle - 650RPMs & .44-.55 GPH.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-26-2009, 06:48 PM

If if it tells you GPH it is most likely just a calculation, I doubt your car actually monitors the fuel coming though the inline and subtracts the outline.

A good benchmark for you then would be to fill up your tank, drive 50 miles on the interstate or a highway at a solid speed, then 50 miles back giving you approximately a 100 mile trip. Take your average MPH/GPH to give you MPG and if your mileage is significantly less then your calculation then you have a leaky injector...

It sounds like to me your just fine though because you can actually obtain 20mpg...before my injector swap I would get anywhere between 12-15 it didn't matter how fast I was going or if it was highway or city.

Quick Reply: Open Loop Issues