2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Beginning Member
tahwos is on a distinguished road
Default Opinions needed

I'm looking at a 2000 LT Blazer 4x4, with 130k miles. The guy is willing to take a very reasonable offer for it, but... it's in the shop getting the ECM replaced.

Should I worry?

I've heard from more than one person, that once they start eating computers, they don't stop. This vehicle has an aftermarket remote start as well, and if I were to be suspicious of anything, it would be that.

Rip it out (remote), and cross my fingers, or just pass altogether?

This vehicle is very clean, and well taken care of - zero cosmetic issues, aside from a small stain on the cargo area carpet. $2800 (after he pays to get the ECM replaced at the local chevy dealership - he has service records, the whole 9 yards - one owner).

My experience with remote start, has been with the large number of them that are just really cheap and/or poorly installed. It is not something that I would use anyway... and will remove, regardless of the quality of the components or the installation - "if" I decide to buy it. (Apparently he used it (remote) all the time, until one day it "sounded different, and didn't start" -> tow truck, dealership, waiting...) They say it's the ECM, be done Tuesday.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 03-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The PCM's in these things are almost bulletproof and rarely fail. I've seen far more replaced due to misdiagnosis than an actual PCM failure. That might have something to do with your comment about they don't stop eating them... until you find the actual problem You're correct about the remote starters, they cause more problems than they're worth.... cheap quality junk or incompetent installer.... or both!

2000 LT 4X4 is a nice truck, but be prepared for ongoing maintenance. GM S & T series vehicles are pretty "needy" in that department. You'll get out of it what you put into it.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
...GM S & T series vehicles are pretty "needy" in that department...
Thanks for the prompt reply - I have driven full size GM for decades, and just started driving a GMC 4x4 Sonoma about 3 years ago, so I'm kinda versed in some of the normal quirks... but no more so than any other GM vehicle really. The kids want another Tahoe, but I don't wanna put gas in it, so a Blazer it is...

Old 03-17-2013, 08:27 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

IMO the problem with remote starts is usually the quality of install
Guys like using scotch lock connectors for this type of work as well as trailer wiring
I guess just about any monkey can squeeze a pair of pliers but I have seen the connector break the wire that they cut into

Old 03-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rexazz2
...scotch lock connectors...
I often cut and crimp, and sometimes even use solder and heat shrink - 15 years in a car factory (one place that you'll never find bondo or scotch locks)

If I ever use them - it's for small car audio connections only - a dead radio, won't make you late for work. But yes, I too have seen them fail more often than not - got pulled over a few times, last summer, for my brake/tail lights, before I cut all the scotch locks out and did it right (previous owner's trailer harness).

Last edited by tahwos; 03-17-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the input guys - ended up getting an '01 with 113K and a twitchy gas gauge for $2900.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:54 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

Congratulations on your new Blazer! Start making a gift list of things you'll need in the future: Fel-Pro intake manifold gaskets, ball joints, AC Delco fuel pump, etc. It could be like a wedding registry for Blazer owners.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:12 AM
Starting Member
Spree is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Toby Hanson
Congratulations on your new Blazer! Start making a gift list of things you'll need in the future: Fel-Pro intake manifold gaskets, ball joints, AC Delco fuel pump, etc. It could be like a wedding registry for Blazer owners.
+1...

Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Toby Hanson
Congratulations on your new Blazer! Start making a gift list of things you'll need in the future...
Thanks - already started... fender, door, hood, pitman & idler, disc brake dust shields, delco mini-*****, mp3 aux harness, bug shield... ;-)