2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

P0140 bad connector

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 03:28 AM
Starting Member
jannes_z-28 is on a distinguished road
Default P0140 bad connector

I'm getting P0140 on my Blazer and I found this very helpful diagnostic procedure to find the cause of my problem
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...or-help-61977/

I have already replaced the sensor.

I followed the steps #5 -> #9 -> #10 -> #11 ->#15.
Connector from the car looks OK, no corrosion and cables are OK.
But it doesn't fully engage to the bottom and the lock clip doesn't reach all the way as you can see on the picture below. Could this lead to the error code?

I will order a new connector and hope that it will cure the problem.

Old 04-24-2022, 09:21 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Try putting a tiny bit of dielectric grease or silicone lube on the rubber seal. Sometimes, that helps the connectors go together easier.

Old 04-24-2022, 09:43 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for the tip Tom, but it didn't do any difference. It feels like there is something in the bottom that stops the connector to go all in.
Bought the car a year ago and that connector was loose as on the picture when I changed the sensor. So it has been more exposed to road grime and salt. The black part is facing forward and get spray from the right front wheel.
Salt and road grime acts like cement and destroys stuff very soon.

Where should that plastic plug go to place the connector assembly to proper way, hopefully it will be more protected then.

Thanks

Old 04-24-2022, 09:47 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jannes_z-28
Where should that plastic plug go to place the connector assembly to proper way, hopefully it will be more protected then.
I think it just fits into a hole in the frame. You should be able to buy that connector as a "pigtail" and splice it to your harness.

Old 04-24-2022, 09:59 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Tom A
I think it just fits into a hole in the frame. You should be able to buy that connector as a "pigtail" and splice it to your harness.
Yes I have ordered one, it will be here in a week. I'm in Sweden, car is sold new here and is an export model. Some "special" stuff on it. But got to fix this before the inspection in June

Old 05-06-2022, 01:08 PM
Starting Member

I have now changed the connector and the values I get on the sensor is moving around but I suspect that they are not really OK.
They vary between 0.460 down to 0.420 while driving. I guess that they should have a larger span. Drove it about 20 miles and the light didn't come on but I had one pending P0140 when I got home.

Any one who knows what the proper values should be?

Thanks

Old 05-06-2022, 01:32 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Is this the post cat sensor? If so then it should hover around 0.5 - 0.7v and not switch like the pre cat O2 sensors.

George

Old 05-06-2022, 02:07 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Is this the post cat sensor? If so then it should hover around 0.5 - 0.7v and not switch like the pre cat O2 sensors.

George
Yes George, it is the post cat sensor.

I have to go over the diagnostic once more to see what could be wrong.

Thanks

Old 05-06-2022, 02:20 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

If you come up with no solution let me know and I can jump in to help if you would like.

George

Old 05-07-2022, 01:23 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
If you come up with no solution let me know and I can jump in to help if you would like.

George
Thanks George, anyway I get better readings now with the new connector. The sensor itself is just a few months old. Must be some cable issue upstream from the connector.

I will not have time to check it further in a few weeks but I'll reprot back after I done the diagnostics.

Thanks

Quick Reply: P0140 bad connector