2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

P0300 nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 07:07 PM
Starting Member
FUN-V is on a distinguished road

Is the camshaft retard shown on the scan tool as the timing or is usually shown as something else? Because my scan tools, both the actron and the bluetooth/android set up show my timing at -18.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:20 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Camshaft retard is shown as camshaft retard or CMP retard, and has nothing to do with ignition timing.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:26 PM
Starting Member

Is the camshaft retard listed om the scan tool as the timing or something else? On both my actron and the bluetooth/android all I see is the timing and it's at -18.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:31 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Camshaft retard is shown as camshaft retard or CMP retard, not ignition timing, they are two totally different things. Entry level scan tools can not access the streaming data. You will need a high end scan tool, or see post #11 for some other ideas.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:49 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

In Car Gauge Pro connect to GM/powertrain and scan all pids. Then select dignostics and add CMP retard (single asterick) PID to the live display list.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:29 PM
Starting Member

Thank you lesmyer, although I'm having a problem with the app, I do as you said, it scans for valid PIDs, then I get a message stating "No PIDs are supported"
if I run it as generic OBDII I get the standard live data and such(no CMP retard), but run as GM/powertrain and I get the "no PIDs Supported"

Any ideas

Old 10-25-2015, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by FUN-V
Thank you lesmyer, although I'm having a problem with the app, I do as you said, it scans for valid PIDs, then I get a message stating "No PIDs are supported"
if I run it as generic OBDII I get the standard live data and such(no CMP retard), but run as GM/powertrain and I get the "no PIDs Supported"

Any ideas
Sounds like you are trying to use Car Gauge Lite.

If you are using the Pro version of Car Gauge Pro, you can see if Torque Pro (not lite) will connect and display an advanced PID like a misfire counter.

If Torque Pro does has advanced PIDs available, and Car Gauge Pro does not have advanced PIDs available - then either you have something goofed up in the Car Gauge Pro settings, or the Car Gauge Pro app is not supporting your vehicle. Being able to connect and talk to your PCM in Generic Mode pretty much eliminates the BAFX and bluetooth communications as problems.

If neither Torque Pro or Car Gauge Pro will display GM enhanced PIDs, then something is odd about your particular vehicle. 1996 - yours is first full year of OBD2 if I remember correctly but I have never heard of anything odd with 1996 Blazers (only 1995 OBD1.5).

If this info doesn't help get things working for you, then you will need to buy an expensive advanced scanner like HP Tuners, Autoenginuity, SCAN XL Pro, or EFI live, or ??? - or take it to the dealer. I'm not going to try to diagnose your failed use of the Car Gauge Pro app on this forum - just trying to point you in the right direction. The rest is now up to you to work out.

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-26-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:28 AM
Starting Member

lesmyer, thanks for the help, It is the full car gauge pro and full torque pro. I tried it with four different devices (my cell, my tab, wife's tab, kid's tab) and same results, no go on GM PIDs.
Guess I'll have to see if I can rent a good scanner from O'Reilly to check the Cam retard

As a side note when I looked at the emissions readiness the catalytic converter and the oxygen sensors are showing "incomplete" any ideas why that is?

Old 10-28-2015, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by FUN-V
lesmyer, thanks for the help, It is the full car gauge pro and full torque pro. I tried it with four different devices (my cell, my tab, wife's tab, kid's tab) and same results, no go on GM PIDs.
Guess I'll have to see if I can rent a good scanner from O'Reilly to check the Cam retard

As a side note when I looked at the emissions readiness the catalytic converter and the oxygen sensors are showing "incomplete" any ideas why that is?
Definitely not the Android device, then. Communicates in OBD2 generic so is not the BAFX. Either Car gauge does not support 2006 enhanced GM PIDs, or your vehicle is odd for some reason.

So please answer my questions that I posed in my last post above. Do you have advanced PIDs like the misfire counters available in Torque Pro? You do have to turn on GM enhanced in Torque Pro in settings/manage extra PIDs/add predefined set before they will appear. You can also try connecting to a 1998-2004 GM car with both softwares. These cars should all use the same communication protocol without any first couple of years OBD2 jitters. report back. Would like to know if Car Gauge Pro will not work on certain years of Blazers. Also if anyone is using Torque Pro or Car Gauge Pro on 1996 (or if it failed for them) - please PM me.

Oreileys is doubtful to have a scanner that will read CMP retard but you can try.

The tests have simply not completed yet since you last cleared codes. Takes certain driving conditions.

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-28-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:59 PM
Starting Member

I'll check those settings on Torque Pro tonight, thanks

Quick Reply: P0300 nightmare