2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

P0306 code & related issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 04:34 PM
TDS-MN is on a distinguished road
Default P0306 code & related issues?

Hey All,

Hoping someone who has done some troubleshooting might be able to share a bit of advice.

One cold day over the past winter (sub-zero), I got a call from my wife, who said that the Blazer was chugging and sputtering, and the Service Engine light was flashing. I have seen it illuminated before, but the flashing was new to me. Google tells me it is likely a severe issue, so I have her go a couple blocks back home. SO we parked the Blazer for a while, until weather improved enough that I could do a little digging. Scanned codes only came back with the P0306, Severe Misfire in cylinder 6. See that there are SEVERAL possible causes for something like that, and reading other posts online here, have seen what some have had to go thru to diagnose similar cause. Anyway, I cleared the code, and the couple times since then that I have started the Blazer up, it has purred like a kitten as they say. No sign of misfire, no stored codes. OK. Guess I will wait on spending any more time on that matter.

But the thing that has me stumped, maybe related, maybe not. Is that the truck started to leave a fairly substantial puddle of oil, that is dripping from between the oil pan and the transmission bellhousing. Not coming from anywhere else, for sure.

Could/would the misfire have done anything that could have created this problem? Or is it likely a pure coincidence that it hit at the same time?

I do not know how violent the misfiring was, I was out of town when it occured, but it feels to me that there isn't much chance that these are related in any way.

Thoughts? Ideas as to how I can best determine what I need to locate and repair the leak? I'm wondering if it's a top-end leak, or a rear main maybe?

Old 03-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Beginning Member
jprife is on a distinguished road

Same thing happened to me a few weeks back...sudden flashing SES with a 0306 code. I cleared it out, and then test drove it a bit up and down the road to see what was going on---and nothing---engine just purrs like a kitten. Since then, we've been driving it around locally and everything is fine. Not sure what happened in that particular instance except that I was going up a steep hill, and perhaps the fuel pump sucked a bit of air (it was low on gas at the time).