2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Painting rusted brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:41 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Painting rusted brake lines

Hey everyone. What is the best paint for spray painting steel brake lines? I painted the ones in the front left wheelwell about a year ago with engine enamel, but I find that I have to keep repainting it every few months. I was told that the rusted lines were okay and no threat. I noticed that the line under the driver front floor pan is rusted and I want to paint it ASAP to keep it from rusting to the point of failing. The system has no leaks at all and I am not seeing any cracks or leaks in that particular line. It seems that there is a rusted section just behind the frame. I don't know how bad it really is, but I know that it is rusted and I want to protect it from the salt and snow during the winter. Should I be using rust converter or will that do more harm than good?

Attached Thumbnails Painting rusted brake lines-0729000216c.jpg  

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 07-29-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:32 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is actually not good practice-
Yes rust comes from without,but moisture comes from WITHIN as well!
Just a Thought....

Old 07-29-2010, 05:12 PM

I realize that, but I keep the brake fluid flushed. There is no water in it at all. I just had the system flushed several times between doing all 4 calipers, the master cylinder, rotors and pads.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:33 PM

So is rust converter good for these lines if they are rusted but not leaking? I just want to protect them from rusting further to the point of failure.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:42 PM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

i have rust in the same exact location as you. i think its a common area because its always getting hit by water and stuff. i think i have to section a new piece on my there....rust convertor wont help on mine, its too rusty inside the rock gaurd....

Old 07-31-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by bigdaddykane93
i have rust in the same exact location as you. i think its a common area because its always getting hit by water and stuff. i think i have to section a new piece on my there....rust convertor wont help on mine, its too rusty inside the rock gaurd....
Is yours as bad as mine? See my first post.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:13 AM
Banned
blazerboyz is on a distinguished road

Rust is something that you will not be able to stop!!!!! Painting brake line is not good because u will just be traping the moisture instead of letting it evaporate. Just leave emm alone it will take several more years for u to start experiancing problems. Trust me your truck will stop for many more years to come.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Beginning Member
4pt9fiero is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazerboyz
Rust is something that you will not be able to stop!!!!! Painting brake line is not good because u will just be traping the moisture instead of letting it evaporate. Just leave emm alone it will take several more years for u to start experiancing problems. Trust me your truck will stop for many more years to come.
Have you ever experienced the excitement of a brake line blowing out? I can tell you it is not fun.

If you are concerned about the amount of rust on the brake lines you should replace them now rather than to wait for the surprise and possible consequences that could come.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Flatearthman is on a distinguished road

make sure you put some rust pentrant on the fittings and let it soak in.
it will make your life a lot easier when replacing the brake lines

Old 08-01-2010, 12:35 PM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ComputerNerdBD
Is yours as bad as mine? See my first post.
Actaully mine looked worse than yours when i was under the truck 3 days ago. but i went under the truck today and guess what? it started to leak! mine is leaking a few inches further back right where the chip guard ends. i haven't decided if im gonna section a new 10" section with inverted flare unions or go up a little higher towards the engine where the factory flare union is and come down to where the rust is and put a union there. not sure yet, but what ever is easier im doing.....

Quick Reply: Painting rusted brake lines