2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Painting rusted brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:03 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bigdaddykane93
Actaully mine looked worse than yours when i was under the truck 3 days ago. but i went under the truck today and guess what? it started to leak! mine is leaking a few inches further back right where the chip guard ends. i haven't decided if im gonna section a new 10" section with inverted flare unions or go up a little higher towards the engine where the factory flare union is and come down to where the rust is and put a union there. not sure yet, but what ever is easier im doing.....
Sorry to hear that. Mine is really only rusting where the rock guard is and it looks like the rust is mostly of the rock guard. The line after where the rock guard ends is rusted, but most of the silver metal is still there. Hope you fix your brake lines with as little trouble as possible.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Starting Member
helo is on a distinguished road

dude, just cough up $20 and buy new brake lines of appropriate length to go from the line off the abs module all the way to the back (or from abs module to passenger front). Don't dick around with unions, just go back to the next coupling... brake lines are cheap...

Old 08-02-2010, 11:50 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

there is no need to run a line from the ABS module because there is a factory union joint at the frame rail right behind the drivers side front wheel. it only makes sense to go from that union right down to where the rust is 2 feet down and put a new union joint right there....so id be running 2 feet of new linw from the factory union joint to where the rust leak is and putting a new union joint there.....

Old 08-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Starting Member
pythonpete5591 is on a distinguished road

so i am working on a 95 trail blazer. i have to take the Engine out and all of the side panels. But heres the thing, i have know idea what i am doing and i'm having a problem taking off the side panels off.
1) first i have all of the bolts that i can see off of the side panels, but it still wont move. is htere any tricks to this?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Beginning Member
4pt9fiero is on a distinguished road

Use caution when bending the new brake lines - if you try to free hand the bends you risk kinking the lines. IIRC you can borrow a tubing bender from somewhere like Autozone, it makes it a much easier job.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:07 PM
GunsOfNavarone is on a distinguished road

The line son these generation Blazers fail easily from rust. The most common spot is where the line runs next to the fuel tank. Salt gets up there, but has no way to exit and it eats at the line. Mine failed at 74k miles and it was garage kept. The design was very bad by GM and has been a bad design for many years (using steel lines and having no exit for salt that gets lodged on the lines. Replacing the lines are not that easy because of the many bends and inability to easily access. I have replaced my lines with a copper/ nickle line only sold at AutoZone. Tests have shown this line last for decades in salty areas and is used in Europe by high end manufactures like Aston Martin and Volvo.

I have sprayed my fuel lines with Rust-Oleum rust restorer which claims to reverse the rust process. Not sure if it will help, but I know doing nothing will surely result in replacing the lines soon. This product is sold at Wally World in the auto AND paint department.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:12 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Stainless brake tubing is always a possibility. Runs about $1/ft at a local speed shop. A bit expencive overall, but I suppose if you are planning on keeping the vehicle and never want to worry again.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Chuk Rhodes is on a distinguished road

If you're going to replace the lines, Stainless would be the way to go. It's harder to bend, but will essentially NEVER rust. Doing a small section would help with the cost.

There are MANY rust restoring/covering/etc products. I would never consider this a fix, just a "help", it will only buy you some time against further rusting.