2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Part sourcing - Cruise control Vacuum Ball

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 03:47 PM
Beginning Member
SuperComp2766 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
Perhaps a fresh start is appropriate.

What symptoms are you experiencing?
Are all your systems working fine except for the cruise control? In what way is your cruise control not working?
Failure point in the cruise control system can be the physical connection to the throttle (breaking), the cruise control module in the engine compartment, or a malfunction of multi-function switch on your steering column.

Is your HVAC system working appropriately? In these Blazers where the air flow is directed controlled by vacuum actuators. A very common problem is that the hoses under the hood that supply the vacuum can rot and leak. (See a link in my signature file) The vacuum storage container seldom is the issue.

Finally, our cruise control systems are all electronic with no vacuum interface. You have either misunderstood your mechanic, they did not explain it well, or they don't know what they are talking about.

And as for dealers, 10 years ago I dropped my then 11 y.o. Blazer at the local dealer to fix my parking break. When I got it back, it worked worse. For vehicles out of warranty, they do not always know what they are doing.

Long story short, they did not even know how to properly adjust the brake shoes even with the access to the official service manuals. I then had to spend an afternoon working out how they worked on my own the following weekend. Later when I got a copy of the official service manuals I found that I was correct.
Symptoms are the cruise does not work at all. For a few times it would work for about 20 miles then quit. Now it does not come on. The dealer said the vacuum ball is broken and not holding, which is required to make it work (according to the dealer). He is texting me a picture of the part in question, and I will post it on this thread for your edification. When I called a boneyard that deals in Blazers, he knew exactly what I was talking about, and said I could buy one for $40. I will have the part number in about an hour, and will post it also. Another garage tested it and told me the electrical part is working fine. Why he could not diagnose the problem I do not know. I am losing faith in him though, slowly but surely. I now have a 05 Monte Carlo with a locked up ECM because he tried to install a PASSKEY ignition switch and it has failed. The dealer is the only one that can unlock it. I am having a blast paying to have these cars fixed. Also, to answer your question, there are no problems with the HVAC or heater controls. The dealer did tell me that vacuum controls them also.

Last edited by SuperComp2766; 01-28-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:34 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

There are a number of things that will keep the cruise control from working, like a bad brake light switch, faulty vehicle speed sensor, etc. The best way to test those things is with a scanner that shows live data.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:13 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Tom A
There are a number of things that will keep the cruise control from working, like a bad brake light switch, faulty vehicle speed sensor, etc. The best way to test those things is with a scanner that shows live data.
The shop that had it did use a scanner and it showed the cruise to be working, so I assume the dealer is telling me right when they say it's getting a signal to work, but it can't because of the vacuum problem.

Old 01-29-2021, 12:40 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SuperComp2766
The shop that had it did use a scanner and it showed the cruise to be working, so I assume the dealer is telling me right when they say it's getting a signal to work, but it can't because of the vacuum problem.
Perhaps the problem is that the engine is not working properly because of a vacuum leak and that is what is making it hard for the cruise control to function properly?

Just to be sure I checked my 1999 GM Service Manual and there is no connection between the cruise control system and the vacuum system. I also looked to see if the a code reader is ever used to check the cruise control system and it is not. If you like I could scan the pages from my manual for you to see and perhaps pass on to your mechanic. (It's 19 pages)

You can easily check the HVAC/4wd vacuum supply hoses yourself. They should not be brittle, crumbly nor loose on the nipples of the fittings. If they are, they are likely leaking. The hoses tend to fail after these trucks get to about 15 y.o. Fortunately, if they are bad, fixing them is easy and cheap.

There are a few other hoses that tend not to leak but could cause problems if they are. If the HVAC/4wd vacuum supply hoses are ok, the next culprit would be the one that goes to the PCV fitting. I had to replace that one.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:57 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
Perhaps the problem is that the engine is not working properly because of a vacuum leak and that is what is making it hard for the cruise control to function properly?

Just to be sure I checked my 1999 GM Service Manual and there is no connection between the cruise control system and the vacuum system. I also looked to see if the a code reader is ever used to check the cruise control system and it is not. If you like I could scan the pages from my manual for you to see and perhaps pass on to your mechanic. (It's 19 pages)

You can easily check the HVAC/4wd vacuum supply hoses yourself. They should not be brittle, crumbly nor loose on the nipples of the fittings. If they are, they are likely leaking. The hoses tend to fail after these trucks get to about 15 y.o. Fortunately, if they are bad, fixing them is easy and cheap.

There are a few other hoses that tend not to leak but could cause problems if they are. If the HVAC/4wd vacuum supply hoses are ok, the next culprit would be the one that goes to the PCV fitting. I had to replace that one.
I again want to thank you for your help. Now the shop tells me that it is NOT a vacuum problem, but the module as you suggested. I found one locally and needed the cable also. Got it all from a Blazer with 63K miles for $125. I appreciate your time and help. Sorry to have mislead you. This is what I was originally told.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:16 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Your seeking and obtaining knowledge and that’s what matters. I have bailed on a lot of “information” dead ends over the years, it’s part of getting good at anything. Glad your getting closer to fixing your truck.

George

Old 02-01-2021, 01:33 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

You are very welcome and I'm glad you now are on track for the proper part.

Finally, thanks for the final update! It helps other who may come across this thread some day.