2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

PITA brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Starting Member
Yooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry PITA brakes

OK, so here is my issue. After driving about 12 miles the other day I got out and my blazer smelled like a metal shop. After some investigating I disovered that my right rear brakes were HOT. Hung caliper. . . right? Well, after replacing the caliper I went for a little test drive and things are still getting hot. All the lines look good. Rotor looks fine. E-brake isn't stuck. Any Ideas???? It is only the right rear brake. I hope this is not going to cost too much. I have been putting more money than the wife would like me to into this blazer (see my "Road Gremlins" post). After bleeding, the brakes were fine with the vehicle off, but as soon as I started the vehicle I had lots of travel in the pedal. The brakes still worked but only after pressing the pedal about 85% down and then after a full stop the pedal goes to the floor. and the brake warning light comes on. Still I don't know what is causing the heating of my rotor. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...... Sombody please help me out here. I am about to just bring it to a brake shop something I would rather not do, but if I have to I will.

Last edited by Yooper; 10-28-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:35 PM
BusaJoe is on a distinguished road

When was the last time you did brakes?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Starting Member

The last time I did a brake job was on my wife's vehicle about 15 months ago, but I was in Iraq for a year so I wasn't really doing brake jobs over there. Had no problems with her brakes by the way.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:06 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

i think he meant the last time on the blazer. It might need new pads. It also sounds like there is still air in the line

Old 10-28-2009, 10:18 PM
BusaJoe is on a distinguished road

I've been having similar problems.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Before you pull your hair out even more, try replacing the flex line to that caliper. If the line has degraded inside, it could be locking up the caliper whenever you brake and not releasing it right away. You can test this theory by getting the vehicle off the ground and safely supported. Have someone inside the truck ready to hit the brakes at your command. Spin the suspected wheel and apply the brakes. The wheel should stop. Now release the brakes and the wheel should almost instantly spin freely. If it does not, then the flexible brake hose lining has failed and is acting like a check valve in the line.

Then bleed the crap out of the system always making sure that the reservoir is full. Start at the passenger rear then driver rear, then passenger front, ending up at the driver front last. You want to bleed the brakes until you get nice clear fluid out of each of the bleeders.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
i think he meant the last time on the blazer. It might need new pads. It also sounds like there is still air in the line
OH!!! The pads are definately good. It is not that. I think I will start with the flex line. Without looking at it right now I am not sure how things are under there. Could someone give me a quick run down on the replacement of that. I never had to replace one before.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:13 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Yea. I second the flexline. Ran into that problem before ona ford

Old 10-29-2009, 07:36 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Yooper
OH!!! The pads are definately good. It is not that. I think I will start with the flex line. Without looking at it right now I am not sure how things are under there. Could someone give me a quick run down on the replacement of that. I never had to replace one before.
all you have to do is unbolt it from the caliper and disconnect it from the brake line.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Starting Member

That is what I need to know. How do I disconnect it from the brake line. I am sure once I take a look at it I will be able to figure it out. It can't be that hard. Right now it is raining here so it looks like I am going to get a little wet. The Blazer is in the driveway, and I would rather fix this before driving it again.

Quick Reply: PITA brakes