2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Please help. 4 wheel drive issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Starting Member
whyteb0y is on a distinguished road
Default Please help. 4 wheel drive issue

So, my mom has a 97 Blazer, not sure what trim level it is, has no power windows or locks (not sure if that is relevant to my question, just thought I'd throw that in there in case it does) not sure of the mileage, but, her Blazer is stuck in 4 low. It was in 2 wheel drive a few weeks ago, then we had some snow, I told her to put it in 4 high, but it went into 4 low and now it won't come out. The buttons on the dash won't push in to switch gears, and the button for 2 wheel drive is gone. Her truck is a turd now and she has no clue how to fix it, figured I'd ask you guys for help. If any more information is needed, feel free to ask and I'll get whatever information from her I can. I really appreciate this. She's helping my sister care for her 2 twin boys and this is their only means of transportation.

Thanks a ton guys

Old 12-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Try removing the 4wd fuse, turn the ignition to the 'run' position, and reinstall the fuse. See if that brings it back to 2HI.

You can also check/clean the connections on the TCCM. For a '97, I believe it is under the dash near the center of the truck. If it's not there, it may be behind the passenger side kick panel.

Old 12-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Starting Member

OK, I'll let her know and see what happens. Thanks for the help

So, my brother pulled the fuse, turned the key to the "run" position, no go, still stuck in 4 low. We'll try the other thing tomorrow, since it's dark

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-06-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:24 AM
Beginning Member
goldie is an unknown quantity at this point

Same thing happened to my 99. The tccm box is located behind the passenger side kick panel. Unplug the box and the truck will have only 2wd. I was quoted $300.00 to $350.00 to replace it so these days I just leave it unplugged all summer and plug it in during the winter for the 4wd.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Starting Member
Tinted is on a distinguished road

unplug the box, it will go bac, to 2wd. it could be just a bad dash switch.

seems to be purely electrical issue

Old 12-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Starting Member

I was thinking bad switch as well, neither of the buttons move, I pushed on them as hard as I could and it didn't do anything. We're getting pummeled with snow now, I wish there was a way to get it into 4 high, she says she's afraid to drive it in 4 low, she said when she's doing 20 it sounds like she's doing 80, with the rpm's revving so high. Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If your buttons don't move, then the switch is bad. The NV233 switch uses spring loaded momentary contacts with a dedicated circuit from the switch to the TCCM for each button. The switch gets +12V IGN power on pin C, then the momentary contacts in each button connect the +12V to the corresponding wire back to the TCCM to command it to make the shift.

If the switch is the only bad component and you want to try to get it back to 4HI, disconnect the switch and place a jumper wire (paper clip) between pins C (pnk - +12V IGN source) & D (gry/blk - 4HI return to TCCM).

Attached Thumbnails Please help. 4 wheel drive issue-97_nv233_sch.gif