2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

please help: starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Beginning Member
toplessvw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default please help: starting issue

so i drove my 98 Blazer into my ally behind the garage to clean out the interior and show it some love, but after I finished my cleaning I coyuld not get my truck to start even with a boost it will not even turn over, no fuses are blown and the relay starter relay is fine. the only thing I did while cleaning is tilt the column up for more space. I am stuck and poor where do i start to look, battery is new as of two months ago and terminals sparkle no previous starting issues

Thanks for any help that you can provide

Old 07-27-2009, 09:09 PM
dew88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you getting power? Check all the terminals, grounds and make sure you getting power. Any clicking when you turn the key?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Beginning Member

I have power but i get no clicking nothing, all the accesories turn on but it does not even attempt to start

Old 07-27-2009, 09:12 PM

I am not trying to be a smart ***, is the truck in park or nuetral?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Beginning Member

the truck is in park, I thought that it might be the nuutral safety switch as well but i can not see it all of a sudden going

Old 07-27-2009, 10:16 PM

Well they will if they are dirty, I would suggest wiggling the shifter around and see if you can get anything out of it.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:56 AM
DukYuk is on a distinguished road

Yup, if you go from something to nothing with no warning, you've likely got a safety switch lock out. Ignition switches and solonoids usually give some warning signs, i.e., they work intermittently before failing. Starters and batteries don't just "stop working" as a rule.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:31 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Do you have a "security" light lit up on dash?.. if so then you have activated the factory security feature... otherwise, I am also inclined to believe that you did something to the ignition when tilting the column.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:39 AM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road

Ok, I just went through some retarded starting issues, so maybe I can help. If I were you, I would start diagnosing from the ignition switch. I know everyone says that they don't just fail, but mine did. One in a million shot? Maybe? But it won't cost anything or hurt anything to test it. Take off the bottom cover of the steering column, and you will see the ignition switch (black box with a bunch of ~8gauge wires). The bottom of that box has a removable cover. Pop it off (it isn't hard to pop off). You will see all the connections there. Jump the red wire to the yellow wire (red is constant, yellow is for starter). If the starter turns, you have just found your problem! If it doesn't, at least you can rule out the switch and move down along the connections. Take the systematic approach and you'll find the problem. Start at the key and work your way right down to the starter, it's a slow and tedious process, but it's thorough...

Hope that helped.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Beginning Member

So I relpaced the ignition switch because it was cut up from a camand start that was in the vehicle and still no luck on the starting issue. The gear shift indicator does not illuminate and the fuel gauge does not move, so I checked all of the fuses in both fuse pannels and no fuses is gone, I also pulled the cluster as I read that they sometimes get a cold solder and the indicator does not work due to this but it was fine. So now I am back at the bigining with a truck that does not even attempt to start, no shift indicator and no fuel gauge. please help

Quick Reply: please help: starting issue