2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Po440

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 05:28 AM
Beginning Member
exitaux3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Po440

I am a girl who knows nothing about cars and trucks although i am learning now.

My 1997 blazer dies everytime it get wet or is too cold. Someone had done a spark test and said the truck have very little spark. Three weeks ago i had taken it to a mechanic to do some works on the po440 in order to pass the emission.

Here's what he had done:
O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 3
used a/c compressor
serprentine drive belt
weld cuts in catalytic converter

after getting the truck back the truck would die whenever the a/c was turn on.

The mechanic check and had rework on the a/c compressor because it was cause.

He also mentioned a new vaccum and cooliant was needed for the a/c to work properly. Before then it was blowing out nothing .

Well, i went to pick up the truck, it had die again.

He took another look and found out that the fuel pump and the connectors were not connected properly. So whenever the fuel was being pumped it would burn the wires and the fuel pump itself.

So cold and wet weather causes the truck to die.

Took the truck back to the orignal guy who had done the work for fuel pump. Two weeks later (after callings and callings) he called last minutes after hours and said the truck was done.

Here is the thing i lived in wisconsin and the weather had just gotten warmer. It had been in his shop for 2 weeks. During that time is was wet/cold.
I guess is that he waited for it to start up again and claimed it's working properly.

He did not replaced the burnt fuel pump but changed and reconnect the connectors to the fuel pump.

The engine service light is on again. The brake foot petal pushes against me everytime it is on a stop light.

Works done in the past:
New/used fuel pump
plenum gasket
computer

i had already spent thousands on it.

2 questions:

1. Is there a test to see if the truck will die in wet/cold environment? (it is pretty warm in wisconsin now)
2. If it dies again, what could be the major problems.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Starting Member
Beckyj636 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had replaced the fuel pump and the Valve in the top on the tank near drivers door Broke, Ever since then I get the same code. This valve need to be replaced and check all Vacuum hoses.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the diagnostic listing for this code:
P0440 - Evaporative Emission Control System
But from your explanation, it does not sound like this code is causing your problems...

What exactly is it doing? Stalling out? Not starting?

Are there any other codes present?

When was the last time it had a complete tune up done (cap/rotor/plugs/wires)? You say that the spark was weak. Was anything tested (coil or ICM) to confirm this or to find a faulty component? The reason I ask is because a problem during wet weather can typically be traced back to an ignition (spark) system problem.

I know this seems like a lot of questions, but please try to do your best to answer them. They let us get to the bottom of your problem more easily.