2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Possible electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:14 AM
cheemo is on a distinguished road
Default Possible electrical problem

Hi guys, I'm new here. I have owned my '98 Chevy Blazer for 2 years now, and since it's my first vehicle, I've planned on starting to do my own mechanical maintenance. I've replaced my rear shocks so far - but that's about it.

In the past, the water pump, fuel tank/pump/sending unit, front shocks, transmission have all been replaced/rebuilt.

However as of late, a problem has started to occur and it's getting worse.

When I try to start my truck in the morning, it takes 3-6 tries to get it started. As it turns over, the lights flicker, the back hatch pops and I can hear clicking sounds in the dash.

At first, it only happened when it was wet outside. Now, it happens if I drive to work in the morning (while it's cold out) and try to start it at lunch (after it's started to warm up).

My friend thinks I should replace the distributor? Is he right? Anything else I should consider?

Old 10-22-2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by cheemo
Hi guys, I'm new here. I have owned my '98 Chevy Blazer for 2 years now, and since it's my first vehicle, I've planned on starting to do my own mechanical maintenance. I've replaced my rear shocks so far - but that's about it.

In the past, the water pump, fuel tank/pump/sending unit, front shocks, transmission have all been replaced/rebuilt.

However as of late, a problem has started to occur and it's getting worse.

When I try to start my truck in the morning, it takes 3-6 tries to get it started. As it turns over, the lights flicker, the back hatch pops and I can hear clicking sounds in the dash.

At first, it only happened when it was wet outside. Now, it happens if I drive to work in the morning (while it's cold out) and try to start it at lunch (after it's started to warm up).

My friend thinks I should replace the distributor? Is he right? Anything else I should consider?
Any suggestions guys?

Old 10-23-2010, 12:46 AM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cheemo
Any suggestions guys?
make sure you have a good battery connection, test the battery if possible too.

when I kill my battery and try starting it my glass pops too(weird)
it could also be a bad connection at the fuse box under your hood.. check to make sure the the post in the fust box is clean and tight. does sound like a power problem to me, but if your truck turns over fine Its probably not the battery.

or soemthing else?

Last edited by 69chevelle; 10-23-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:53 PM

Thanks buddy! I'll look into that today!

Old 10-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Starting Member
1998MSO is on a distinguished road

You may want to use the search feature of this forum and look into a possible ignition switch problem. I've seen several posts regarding odd electrical issues such as yours.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by 69chevelle
make sure you have a good battery connection, test the battery if possible too.

when I kill my battery and try starting it my glass pops too(weird)
it could also be a bad connection at the fuse box under your hood.. check to make sure the the post in the fust box is clean and tight. does sound like a power problem to me, but if your truck turns over fine Its probably not the battery.

or soemthing else?
Well guys, yesterday she finally died! Woke up in the morning and it wouldn't even turn over.

Got my buddy to run to the scrap yard and pick up a $30 used battery and VOILA!

Started right up like a dream with no clicking sounds, no glass popping or anything else.

This morning too, after sub-zero temperatures all night she started right up.

Thanks for the input!