2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Possible Fuel Pump Issue-1999 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 AM
Dacor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Possible Fuel Pump Issue-1999 4wd

I think I need to replace my fuel pump but I'm 100 % sure. It ran fine and now it all of the sudden doesn't run at all. From what I have heard, most fuel pumps start to go, they don't just drop dead in the tank. You can normally hear it run before you turn the key, and now it doesn't. Im just wondering what else other than the fuel pump relay and the oil level (shuts fuel system off if low) I should check before dropping $375 on a pump... Any help or helpful hints for when Im dropping the tank would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-03-2008, 06:15 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Possible Fuel Pump Issue-1999 4wd

I would definitely make sure that you check the fuel pump relay and the fuse. If either of these are bad, it will cause the fuel pump to not be energized.

Also, a failing or faulty ignition switch (wiring harness in the column) can do the same thing. This is typically accompanied by the security light on the dash being illuminated when you try to start the truck.

If you verify power to the pump and you still do not have the proper fuel pressure, then the pump is most likely at fault (barring a faulty ground or wiring damage - both rare), but you can run through the fuel pressure test procedure in the DIY section once you verify power to the pump.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Beginning Member
Fivspeed is an unknown quantity at this point

Dacor, what leads you to believe its the fuel pump?

Old 12-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect it was the absence of the noise he has gotten used to hearing from the pump.

To see if it is a fuel supply problem, get a can of starter fluid. Remove the intake duct from the air cleaner and spray into the duct (keeping the rest of it hooked up). Then try to start the truck. Before you do this, make sure that there is no loose debris near the open intake.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Beginning Member
Fivspeed is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahh..yes, looked right past that part. [sm=smiley18.gif]

Old 12-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Administrator

No worries! We are all here to help!!

Old 12-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Fossil Rock is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2000 (2WD) having the same problem. I've started to remove the tank after checking the fuse and relay. It was mentioned that the ignition switch could be the problem. How would I test this before having to go through the procedure to replace the pump?

Also read somewhere that the oil pressure sending unit is in the circuit, could this be an issue?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Dacor is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, that is a plethora of information... I did everything you told me to do and to no avail... I have to change the pump out. Got the tank out, which was a pain... hopefully I dont run into anything else. If I do, ill be back on here. Thanks for everything though guys, I could never have guessed that i would have received such a great response in such short time. These sites normally take a couple of days. Thanks again!