2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

power window motor problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:49 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default power window motor problem

well my passenger window stopped working and it is in the down position when it stopped. I ordered a new motor and when I took the old one out I noticed that it worked fine when off of the regulator???? As soon as it touched the regulator it stopped working, I was thinking that there was just something wrong with it so I tried plugging in the new motor and it did the same thing.....What am I missing??? Why would the motor work when off the regulator then not work when it is touching the regulator?????I am about to lose my mind and on top off that I am having major issues installing my remote start alarm it is all installed and not working right for some reason so i need to remove it all and start over........god this is just driving me crazy........PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2010, 01:14 PM

bump....

Old 08-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It stopped working when it just touched the regulator? As in when the gear touched the regulator or just metal to metal?

Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 PM

just metal to metal.... its the wierdest thing.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:19 PM

so I went out to mess with my blazer today and now the window motor works when I press the down button but craps out when I press the up button. If I have the motor not touching the regulator it still works both ways????? I am going to switch the wires and hope that I can get the window to at least go up and that way I can drive it till I figure out why its not working when it goes the other way..... If I hold the motor super close to the regulator and press the up button it actually arcs to the regulator???? Does that mean there is a ground problem??? If so where the hell is it grounded and why would it only not work one way if the ground was bad???

Old 08-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member
aosmitty is on a distinguished road

It's entirely possible that there is too much resistance for the motor to push the window into the closed position. Years ago I had a car with power windows and the driver's side got balky. I opened the door up (as in, took it apart) and determined that a nylon plastic could no longer slide smoothly on a metal guide. I lubed it with ... something, I forget (this was 10+ years ago) and it worked again.

On my 2000 Blazer that I just bought in Mid July, the driver's side window would not move - it was stuck in the up position. The motor wouldn't go anywhere, made no sound, etc. I figured I was in for a new regulator.

Lo and behold, some jerk breaks into my truck by smashing the driver's side window with a screwdriver while I'm at work. He got away with almost nothing of value, but I discovered that what was left of the window would go up and down in the door. Insurance replaced the glass and now my window works.

When installing the window, the tech had a bear of a time getting it lined up. He had to tweak this, that and everything else before it would seat properly in the up position. Maybe you have something out of alignment inside your door? Or something that needs some kind of lubrication?

It turns out there is a guide for the window that holds the back of the window - it attaches with two bolts and looks like the kind of thing that might wear out (it looked like it was that felt-type weatherstrip material held inside of a metal casing - with of course an open side for the window. I have no idea if there's a similar guide for the front, I didn't notice.

Also make sure the lever can slide properly in the metal track that's attached to the window. If it binds in there, you're going nowhere.

NOT AN EXPERT - just watched a guy replace my window!

Old 08-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can test the switch and associated wiring. Here's the wiring diagrams for a 2dr & 4dr:

Attached Thumbnails power window motor problem-96_pwrwndw_2dr_sch.gif   power window motor problem-96_pwrwndw_4dr_sch.gif  
Old 10-08-2010, 11:53 AM

Well after a while of having no problems the damn window only works going down again?????????? Just dont undersdtand it, and once again the motor only stops working when it is touching the regulator and it only stops working in the down position....I am half tempted to get some plastic washers to keep the motor from even touchiong any metal at all..... @Swart If I am reading the diagrams right it looks like they all share the same ground which means that if that was the problem then none of the windows would work...correct? Also if it was th eswitch then wouldnt the window still roll up from the drivers side switch??? I am going to try and trouble shoot it today but i have to replace some wheel studs in the rear because some jack *** tried to steal my rims even with the lug lockers and snapped 3 of the lugs off before realizing that he never would be able to get them all off....

Old 10-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Have you tried providing power and ground to the motor through test wires?

It is possible that it is a wiring issue to the passenger side motor. If one wire were to be broken and grounded at the motor side, it may cause the symptoms you are experiencing. The motor reverses by switching the power and ground.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:34 PM

No I havent tried to directly connect yet, I will try that ASAP and let you know what I find out..

Quick Reply: power window motor problem