2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

PRETTY MUCH STUMPED! Truck won't start! SIGH!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:15 PM
junkyarddog is on a distinguished road
Unhappy PRETTY MUCH STUMPED! Truck won't start! SIGH!

Hey everyone,
So I have a 98 Blazer 4.3L, 2wd.
For a while I noticed a misfire with my engine. I went ahead and changed my spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor brush, fuel filter...all of the small stuff.
The misfire didn't cease.

One day whilst driving, the truck just dies..SHUTS OFF. Okay...I assumed it was gas, as my gauge wasn't working. Went and got some gas, put it in the tank and the truck started. When I put it in drive, and pressed gas, it shut off again. So I started it again, put it in drive and let it idle home (I was already on my street so it was no need to call a wrecker.) I tried to press gas again as I picked up speed but it shut off again.

Now, since I got her home, I took down the intake system, cleaned out the throttle body and also checked the fuel injectors to make sure I was getting fuel from all. I checked the psi on the fuel and it was way below what it should be SO I changed the fuel pump. NOW that the pump is changed...it STILL won't start!

I am seriously at a loss. I've searched, read stickies, but I don't know what else I need to check. This is becoming so frustrating. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:18 PM

It cranks but won't start and it almost sounds like a heaving sound and not how a truck would normally sound when it starts.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:13 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Have you checked for spark with engine cranking? Spark needs to be a nice blue color, not yellow.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:38 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If spark checks out OK, try a shot of carb spray in the throttle body and try to start it. If it starts & stalls, check this link, and post all 4 readings: https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...eakdown-88305/

Old 02-26-2015, 04:11 PM

Ok guys and gals, so here's the rundown.

Fuel pressure is good at 60 psi

I'm getting a strong spark. Checked the compression in the chamber and that is good.

Sprayed some starter fluid in the throttle body, tried to start it. It sounded like it wanted to turn over but didn't

So the mechanic said we need to rule out sensors and timing chain and/or gears as well as the fuel spider injector.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:56 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If adding fuel didn't help, it's probably not the fuel delivery system, however, depending on where you got the 60psi reading, there could still be a problem. Really need all 4 readings to know for sure.

If the distributor cap & rotor are aftermarket, you might want consider replacing them with AC Delco parts. Don't waste your time or money on aftermarket stuff, it doesn't perform well, or last.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:04 PM

Hey everybody! It's me again!

STILL haven't gotten the Blazer started.

I changed the fuel injector assembly and it still will not start. Yesterday evening however, I tried pouring fuel directly into the throttle body and when I attempted to start it, it ALMOST started BUT it didn't. The battery is fully charged...but for some reason it sounds as if it is turning over sluggishly....would that have an affect on it starting too?

How can I post a video for you all to hear what I'm talking about?

Thanks!

Old 06-17-2015, 06:24 PM

I uploaded a video link of what I'm experiencing. Hopefully you gain some clarity from this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxol...ature=youtu.be

Old 06-17-2015, 07:24 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I got video private

Old 06-17-2015, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by newguy
I got video private
Ok...try it now. My bad I forgot to change the privacy settings.

Quick Reply: PRETTY MUCH STUMPED! Truck won't start! SIGH!