2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

PRETTY MUCH STUMPED! Truck won't start! SIGH!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:55 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Remove all spark plugs, prop throttle wide open, remove the fuel pump relay, disable the ignition coil. Check compression using the starter. Crank the engine until 4 pulses are viewed on the tester on each cylinder. Mark down the results for each cylinder and label them as "DRY". Put a couple of squirts of oil in each spark plug hole and retest all cylinders, mark down the results and label them as "WET". Post the results.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 06-18-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:56 AM
junkyarddog is on a distinguished road

Ok....I'm going to have to purchase a compression tester kit. That's gonna take about 2 weeks to get here....sigh! I live in the Bahamas.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:37 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by junkyarddog
Ok....I'm going to have to purchase a compression tester kit. That's gonna take about 2 weeks to get here....sigh! I live in the Bahamas.
Dam, life is rough

Old 06-18-2015, 11:34 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

On the video I do not hear even a hint of engine firing; so engine is either not getting fuel or no spark.
How did you check for spark?
Are you sure all the electrical connections for the spider injector are fully mated, no bent pins?
Have you check the injector fuses?

Old 06-18-2015, 12:26 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by junkyarddog
Ok guys and gals, so here's the rundown.

Fuel pressure is good at 60 psi

I'm getting a strong spark. Checked the compression in the chamber and that is good.

Sprayed some starter fluid in the throttle body, tried to start it. It sounded like it wanted to turn over but didn't

So the mechanic said we need to rule out sensors and timing chain and/or gears as well as the fuel spider injector.
How did you check the compression here? How did you determine that it has a strong spark? What did the spark plug look like when you had it out to check compression? Was there raw gas present? Was it black and sooty?

Last edited by LesMyer; 06-18-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:06 PM
Starting Member
flypaul is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the compression is low or at least not even. First, put a timing light on and ck the timing while cranking to ruel out a jumped timing chain. If the timing is near normal then ck the compression. it should be around 150. I have heard enginescrank like this that have been flooded and what happens is the cylinder walls get washed down and the compression drops. Usually if you hold the throttle wide open and crank it for 20 seconds or so i have seen similar sounding engines come to life.
If you ck the compression and it is low across the board and the timing is ok, pull out the spark plugs and pump a couple squirts of engine oil into each cylinder. This will replace the oil that all the gas you dumped down the throttle body washed away.
Also do not try to srart it with the air intake plumbing off. If it does start it will shut right off.
Getting back to the original problem when it wouldnt take the gas, you may just have a dirty mas air flow sensor. There are a few you tube videos on how to clean the resistors properly and I can tell you from first hand experience it will make a world of difference.
All of this assuming there are no trouble codes or ck engine light on.
Good Luck!

Old 03-14-2016, 02:35 PM
bagnew is on a distinguished road

have you checked for dampness inside the distributor?.

i almost forgot check the drive gear on the dist shaft if it is bad it will do things like that and give you fits and have you pulling out your hair.

ask me how i know that :-)

Last edited by bagnew; 03-14-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Haven't heard from the OP in 9 months. Please check the date on threads before digging up an old bone.