2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

problem people having with temp

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Beginning Member
lynnboy021 is on a distinguished road
Default problem people having with temp

98 s10 blazer 4.3 well i have been reading alot of post with the temp/no heat well i just want to know that is the temp in the pic right like is that where all blazers are set to? i dont have any problems with heat and from starting the truck on a cold day and waiting to warm up takes about 5 mins then i start haveing heat but like everyone is having problems with mpg i put in like $20.00 in gas (MA gas price is $3.17 for 87) and gives me half tank but man does the truck like to drink gas, so i took all the tools everything i had in the truck i took out just to see if there is a diff in mpg. i went 6 miles i used 0.5 so maybe my truck gives me 12 or 13 mpg?

Attached Thumbnails problem people having with temp-img00026-20110209-1154.jpg  
Old 02-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just about all gauges are made so that "normal" readings are in the center of the gauge. In your case, the temperature should be at around 200-210F which is straight up on the gauge.

If your engine temperature is not reaching ~170F, the PCM will not command closed loop operation which would lead to lower mileage.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Beginning Member

ya thats what i thought now i need to find whats the problem.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't changed the thermostat, now would be a good time. While you are at it, a new Stant Safe-T-cap wouldn't hurt a thing either. Both are relatively cheap items.

The thermostat regulates the temperature of the coolant in the block.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Beginning Member

should i get the cap and thermostat at autozone? the cap can i get any cap that autozone sells?

Old 02-10-2011, 01:33 PM
zpopples is on a distinguished road

You might want hookup a scan tool to see if your guage is reading right. The wife's 97 blazer reads almost the same thing yours does. But with the scan tool it is running at 194 to 196 right where it should.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Starting Member
jbsnowboarder16 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by zpopples
You might want hookup a scan tool to see if your guage is reading right. The wife's 97 blazer reads almost the same thing yours does. But with the scan tool it is running at 194 to 196 right where it should.

I second that....I was suffering from something of the sort. I had some hot air, but nothing blistering, and the temp gauge was reading in the same spot as yours. I hooked it up to a scan tool and the temp was right around 160-170. New thermostat and now the block is sitting at about 195-200. Hopefully this will cure my poor gas mileage since everything else has been changed in a tune up a few months back. I hope your problem is fixed like mine.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Beginning Member

well here in Boston MA we been getting snow storms left and right for a month, and i do all my car work outside so i really cant do anything outside right now plus we also been getting really cold days but i think this wed and thu is going to been in the 50 so i will check what the truck needs. maybe today i will go buy thermostat and the cap and maybe install it and post if it fix the problem.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Beginning Member
motorcity blazer is on a distinguished road

I run a 180 degree thermostat in my 99 4.3 because it gets to 110+ here in Az. That is exactly where my temp gauge sits at all day. You are definately running cool if the guage isn't giving you a false reading. Could be a fail safe thermo stuck open.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Beginning Member

i really dont know what i have motocity i bought the blazer the last week of oct 2010 so i really dont know what the car has or needs its just been cold out and working and all. my friend has a heated garage so i am going to see if he will let me use it today then i will post back later and i will take a new pic of the temp.

Quick Reply: problem people having with temp