2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Programed RKE now airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 01:32 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

hey folks, the other day i programed my RKE and remote starter remotes and the same day, (i assume while i was working on it) the airbag light came on and has stayed on since.

only option is to get it scanned? will it pass a safety inspection with it on? and also, does this mean i have NO airbags?

also i should mention that while i was rooting around under the steering colume through the wiring 1 wire made a spark, could this have caused the light?

So, anyway, ive read the diy for disableing the airbags, and if all else fails this is what i want to do to pass my safety inspection.

but the question is still why would programing my rke set it off?

can you guys just tell me specifically where the plugs are i need to unplug and how hard is it to get to the one behind the glovebox?

the pics in the diy are hard to tell where they are....

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-01-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a coincidence. I would get it scanned to see what the code is and go from there.

As far as whether you will pass or fail the inspection, I think that would depend on the local regulations.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:26 PM
BF Veteran

yep, it will fail, and im pretty low on funds too, id rather disable it for now i think, i just need the darn light to go out for an hour while i get it inspected.....

what is the knee bolster?

what is an ip compartment?

how hard is it to get at the connection behind the glove box

and do i only need to take the 1 piece off under the dash? or does the 2nd one need to come out that the ebrake release goes through?

never mind, glove box was simple, just didnt understand the directions in the diy

but on a side note, who ever installed my remote starter and alarm did an UGLY job under there, just crammed it all in, makes working under there a NIGHTMARE.

found the connector though, but not on the steering colume, its jammed waaaaay up there and is stuck....so im gonna have fun trying to unclip that sob.

ok, so apparently unplugging the 2 yellow harnesses dosent turn off the airbag light!?!?!?

no fuse, no harnesses=light still on.......how the heck can i get it to turn off!

when i take out the fuse and put it back in it flashes a few times then goes solid.....

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-01-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Fix the problem or take out the bulb. If they run a bulb self test and notice that the airbag light doesn't pop on though, you'd still fail.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:12 PM
BF Veteran

ok, threw a code B1026 i think it was. Mechanic tryed to clear it with the machine but it wouldnt work and suggested i go to the dealership and pay mad $$$$$$$$$$$$$

edit. b-1026=driver loop open

also there was another code that said the passenger loop is also open, i did have the harnesess unplugged the night before, but i plugged em back in and put the fuse back in.

so, could i have damaged my clockspring by not even touching it? wasent rotating wheel while i was working under the dash.....

typically when the clockspring goes....is it common for just 1 side to have an open loop or both?

if i could at least narrow it down i can avoid other shops charging me to diagnose it....

Last edited by blazinloud; 11-02-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:14 PM
BF Veteran

bump.

checked harnesses on the front of rad support, everything was clipped in, hard to see, but seemed fine.

so, what can cause an "open loop" code on driver and passenger side?

what exactly is an open loop? same thing as an open circuit?

Old 11-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Administrator

open loop = open circuit. You basically are going to have to test continuity from the sensors to the airbag control module.

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-04-2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Should have said airbag... Removed the WSS note.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 PM
BF Veteran

ok, more questions lol. where is the abs module on my 98? where are the wheel sensors? and what do the wheel speed sensors have to do with it?

is the clock spring ruled out? obviously what you said to do is out of my ability, i dont even own a dmm

ive been told, pretty much all shops wont touch airbag issues, is this true, is it really better to just go to the dealer?

edit! so it IS narrowed down to an open circuit in the wiring between the sensors and the module? is this the only possibility? thanks

Old 11-04-2010, 05:07 PM
BF Veteran

Kyle do you happen to know if taking the bulb out is possible? Can it be accessed? I seen a youtube video where a guy just scratched off the electrical lead on the board so electricity can't flow to it. Anyone know? I'd really like to tackle this in the am

Old 11-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Sorry, I somehow wrote ABS when I meant airbag, then confused things even more by putting in the blurb about the WSS.

Anyway, I saw in your other post that your code is B1026 - Driver Deployment Open Loop. I would check on the yellow wiring/connectors under the driver side dash.

Quick Reply: Programed RKE now airbag light