2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Programed RKE now airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 12:34 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, i had taken them apart using the "disable airbag" thread diy thinking it would shut the light off.

in that process, i unplugged the driver side AND the passenger side yellow harness' and it threw a code for both sides, same thing, open loop. and i know for sure they are clipped back in

then i figured this aint going to work, and plugged them back in with zero change in the dash light.

SO! is this where those codes came from? unplugging and plugging back in? BUT there must have been something else not right since the light was on BEFORE i unplugged them. but would the *original* code be read by the code reading machine? because those were the only 2 codes to come up on the handheld snap on the mechanic used and they could not be cleared.

question 2-is it possible to access the airbag light bulb? id hate to rip it all apart, then figure its sealed tight....

THANK YOU

Old 11-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You should clear the codes and see what comes back up.

As far as accessing the light, I haven't been inside an s-series cluster. I don't know if they are replaceable or panel mounted.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:18 PM
BF Veteran

we tried clearing the codes 3 times, i was standing right next to the mechanic. Are they possibly using the wrong machine?

if it reads the airbag codes, shouldnt it be capable of clearing them too?

if they are panel mounted what are my options to get the light out?

Old 11-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Tearing the cluster apart to the point of being able to put a peice of electrical tape over the bulb...

But like I said earlier, if the inspector does a bulb check and notices that the Airbag light doesn't come on, you'll fail too.

A scanner capable of reading the airbag codes should be able to clear them as well. If it comes right back up, then there is a problem.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:32 PM
BF Veteran

ok, thanks alot kyle! my dad has known this mechanic for many many years and regularly did business with him. So my dad said, just get the light out and i can probably get it passed. just finished putting mud flaps on the front tires.

just on my way out side now to start tearing the dash apart!