2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Question for mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:11 AM
pigmak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question for mechanic

So I had coolant problems and brought my 01 Xtreme in. I was told the intake gasket was blown, engine belt was junk, thermostat was bad, and all the hoses are original and crap and should be replaced. He says 1000 bucks. I am out of work. Is this reasonable? Thank you.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Seems high to me, but those parts should not be more than $150 all together. It depends on the hourly rate of the shop and how long they are intending to take for the LIM (lower intake manifold) gasket replacement. Doing the work yourself with the resources/information provided here can save you a TON of money!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:30 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

whats the breakdown on the pricing?? Was the shop busy or dead? Ive never heard a mechanic give an exact price of 1000$ Buyer beware is how i look at it.. I can prob almost guarantee that while its there your transmission springs a leak somehow overnight, your tires dryrotted while sitting there on the lift.. Believe me ive heard it all.......... where do you live what state? If you were near me i`d love to even take a look at it to see what their saying is bad...Mine is a 2002 and i dont even have half the problems of what their saying is wrong with yours.. I have 91,000 miles now.Unless your driving like a maniac to be causing all of this then .....I just wouldnt trust that shop, do you know them have you been there b4??

Old 08-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Default doing it myself?

I am not too mechanically inclined. The shop is busy sometimes others not. I have had my truck there once where they replaced my distributor. He actually said 1,051.00. How hard is the lower intake manifold? I am clueless to replacing the hoses too. I do not know what to do. I am jobless. I currently have 138,000 miles. 2002extreme, I am near Savannah Ga

Last edited by pigmak; 08-10-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The hoses are not overly difficult to replace, but can be cumbersome. As far as the LIM gaskets, there are several how-to's posted here. Search for "D-tips.com" and at least one should show up.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Default hmm

I just finished a quick look at the D-tips how to replace intake gasket, interesting. It does not look difficult, just time consuming. I imagine if I did this, along the way I could replace the belt correct? And the hoses? Which hoses do I replace? Now I feel like this guy took me last time when he did my distributor. A gasket is only 10 bucks? wth

Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Default My truckis at one place but

I just got an estimate of 342 for gasket alone...

Old 08-10-2009, 11:44 AM

342.00 for the gasket or the whole job? i`m in NY so that leaves me out of being able to look at the truck to give ya a hand,..

Old 08-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Default ha

they said 342 to put gasket in, they would have to look at the hoses but isint that just stuff along the way anyway. Dont ya have to move them? Don't you need a vacation to sunny Savannah 2002?,lol

Old 08-10-2009, 11:52 AM

My next Vac is coming up in a couple weeks , goin to Pa for the NHRA races... I def need more vacations but without having a job makes it just that much harder to get any,,

Quick Reply: Question for mechanic