2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Quick temp question for y'all

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 05:22 AM
Lilcheef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick temp question for y'all

Hey y'all. Got a temperature question for ya :

1997 Blazer LS 4.3L
4x4 auto blah blah

I bought this truck from my uncle. Not too long ago he replaced the radiator, water pump, and couple things around it... When the truck first warms up the temp gauge will go to inbetween the 210 and whatever the 1/4 mark represents like I would expect, then drops down almost immediately to just a hair above the 1/4 mark. It does not rise much above this and if it creeps up, it will go back down. It will NOT drop below this even in the negative temperatures we had today! Could it be that the cooling system being next to new is just doing an uber job keeping the truck cool? Or should I look into replacing the t-stat? Or even a temp sending sensor??

EDIT :: The cabin heater seems to work fine, the truck doesn't heat up quite as fast as my Slaab used to but it is twice the size but it does blow hot after heating up! ALSO, do any of y'all know any tricks to get the engine to heat up faster? I used to have the same complaint with my V8 Jeep. Could I just shove a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator or something jerry rigged like that? Lol.

Thanks y'all!
Chris Threlkeld

Old 01-14-2007, 04:53 AM
Default RE: Quick temp question for y'all

No ideas huh? Bummer figured i'd ask at least. I'll prolly change the t-stat anyway just to see what happens they ain't too pricey. Thanks y'all!

Old 01-14-2007, 05:21 AM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lilcheef,
You may have a 180 degree thermostat in your truck right now, I would change it over to a 195 degree thermostat and you should be all good.
Post us back with your results........

Old 01-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You could use cardboard in front of the radiator to see how it affects the temperature.

It could be that the stat isn't really operating properly, ie. it snaps to full open once hot enough, then snaps shut once the colder coolant reaches it. Typically, the stat isn't so on/off, but tends to open and close alittle more slowly.

It wouldn't hurt anything to swap out the stat and rad cap and assess the condition of the coolant (I know you said you just changed it). You want to make sure that you get all of the air out of the system too.

Also, give us alittle chance to respond to you before you say that we don't have any answers for you. We all have lives outside of the forum. The advice you get here is free. Go to a mechanic or dealership and see what it would cost. Free advice doesn't always come as promptly as you may want it to.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:34 AM

I apologize for being a little Hasty. I wasn't trying to be rude or nothing y'all are good people and I appreciate the advice. I'm a little impatient from time to time so my apologies again..I am going to be putting in a new T-stat in just as soon as it gets a little bit warmer outside. Since i'm here, they make grille covers for big trucks, like F-250's and stuff for diesels... Does anyone know someone that makes these for the blazers?

I'll post results from a new T-stat when I get it installed.

Thanks again!
Chris Threlkeld