2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

radiator

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 04:36 PM
Beginning Member
karlb is on a distinguished road
Default radiator

2002 4 door 2wd. If I just drain my radiator from the radiator drain on the bottom, how much fluid should come out? In other words how much does just the radiator hold. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:47 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The lower radiator hose is connected to the engine, so you'll get more coolant out than just the radiator holds. Usually about 2 gallons will come out the drain, (if the system was full).

Old 05-31-2016, 06:04 AM
Beginning Member

I am only getting about a half gallon. Do you think I might have air in the system? I replaced the water pump about 6 months ago and thermostat. I also removed the upper hose and ran water into the radiator and waited until the water was clear coming out of the upper hose yesterday. Radiator plugged up? Temp gauge is just below 210 when it warms up which doesn't take long maybe about 10 minutes but it is hot in south Florida. Also replaced fan clutch a couple weeks ago. Thanks again.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:06 AM
Beginning Member

Also the heater core is clear. I had to flush it a few times when I replaced the water pump. Blows nice and hot.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:31 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like everything is working fine. Did you drain it on an incline by any chance?

Old 05-31-2016, 08:08 AM
Beginning Member

Maybe just a slight incline. Not a lot though just in the driveway pretty flat. If you think it might make a difference I can try somewhere else or turn it around. I just thought that it should be a lot more than a half gallon and after draining what came out is all that will go back in.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:17 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Since my driveway is on an angle I drained mine with the front facing down the hill. That way gravity can help. The best is to have it on a level surface.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:25 AM
Beginning Member

Anybody else have any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 06-01-2016, 07:39 AM
Racer_X is on a distinguished road

Did you refill it? Did it only take a half gallon to fill?

I usually fill and drain with (preferably distilled) water first. Often, if it's a problem engine that traps air, I'll take the heater feed hose (the one on the front of the manifold, not the one on the pump) off, put a piece of straight hose on the manifold fitting, run that up and tie it to the hood latch, then fill through the heater hose back through the core and into the water pump. Fill it first with the radiator cap removed, and when you have water (or coolant) coming up the radiator neck, put the cap on and add a bit more. The air will come out the hose on the manifold fitting. If you use a clear hose on the manifold fitting you'll see when you have it completely full. You might still have a little air trapped in the upper hose that way, but the engine block and radiator will be completely filled.

Fill it, flush it and drain it with pure water first. If it takes a full fill (2+ gallons IIRC), you're good to put coolant mix in it.

If it only takes 1/2 gallon to fill it, there's a problem somewhere. Then I'd start checking at all the hose connections and pouring water in everywhere. Wherever the water goes in without spilling over, that's the other side of the blockage.

Also, see my sig for another tip.

Last edited by Racer_X; 06-01-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Beginning Member

I did refill it and it only took what came out a half gallon. Do you know what just the radiator should hold? If I take off the lower hose and plug the hole with duct tape or something I can fill and it to see how much it is holding to see if it's plugged up with crud. I will try what you suggested tonight if I have time but I would like to eliminate the radiator first. It is the original and has 170,000 on it. Thanks!

Quick Reply: radiator