2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

rear axle seapage

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Beginning Member
bdubs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rear axle seapage

I just got my truck inspected and the mechanic told me that my rear left axle was leaking, can someone explian what this means and how i correct the issue please, i would like to get his taken care of before it becomes a major problem.

thanks
"b"

Old 07-26-2009, 06:05 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Needs a new axle seal. Part itself is cheap but it involves taking the rear diff cover off, taking c clips out (might as well do both sides while you've got it open), using an axle bearing puller, etc. etc. Can't remember if the bearings have to come out but once again while you have it open you might as well replace them. New differential cover gasket (and cover if it's rusted), top it off with some synthetic gear oil and you're golden for a long, long time. If you're somewhat mechanically inclined you can tackle this in your driveway with your regular socket set, a long magnet, and renting an axle bearing puller from your local Advanced Auto.

It's part number 24. The pic is for 1st Gen but it's the same basic setup. You can see what I mean about replacing everything while you have it open anyway.

Last edited by TripleBlackBlazer; 07-26-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks I hope to replace this weekend

Old 07-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would do the wheel bearings while you are there. You can get the problem solver wheel bearings with the integrated wheel seal. They move the lip seal out further on the axle to get to a fresh surface.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:35 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Also... when you have it all apart, do the rear brakes at the same time or at least make sure they are not soaking in diff oil.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Beginning Member

How do I replace the back brakes can u provide me with write up explaining the ptocess