2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear Differential Cover Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 08:51 AM
Starting Member
LuckyAce is on a distinguished road

I'll know for sure Friday. I bet I could whack in a new larger drive, or borrow a friend's welder and weld on a socket... but I'm done with this and frankly don't have the time.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:14 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

I was at a ring and pinion shop and the mechanic used an air chisel on the corner of the square opening and backed the plug out. I've gotten the same results with a chisel and a hammer. Replace the now ruined plug with a stainless plug and coat the threads with anti-seize. Tighten only to past snug.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:12 AM
dlundblad is on a distinguished road

I am assuming you have the stock recessed 3/8" plug?

Speaking from experience, you can use an impact gun on it's lowest setting to get the plug out. Use a 3/8" impact extension, push hard and keep the gun square. Use a good penetrating oil like liquid wrench and let it soak if you can. Wear safety glasses.

Do yourself a favor and don't put that darn plug back on. Go to the hardware store and get a heat rated cast iron plumbing plug with a square head. You'll actually be able to get a socket on it. Prior to re-installation, dab some anti seize on it.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:06 PM
Starting Member

$63 (student discount) + parts and the new cover is in. Glad I didn't have to do it, the plug was a perfect circle, six of the cover bolts head's snapped off, and it took forever for them to clean off the old gasket with a chisel! A hell I'm glad I didn't go through.

On the plus side, I asked if he noticed any damage to the differential and he said it was in great shape, no discoloration or anything.

Last edited by LuckyAce; 07-30-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:56 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

What a PIA that cover was. Sometimes it is better to let someone with a lift, the tools and the tenacity to get job done and in a very timely manner. With a stripped out plug broken bolts to deal with, it was worth the money.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:43 PM
Starting Member

Went out to look over the work today and there was still a small puddle (few drips, enough to stain the concrete) under the differential! The thing was soaked in oil and gunk before, and this is the first time I took a close look. Could the differential just be slowly drying out?

I'm parked in the same spot I have since before this, so it is likely the dark spot is just a stain in the cement. I went under to clean the differential a bit, and after some rubbing along the lower edge the towel had a good amount of black gunk, not really oily, just nasty black gunk.

The amount is certainly less then before the cover was changed, and the cover itself is dry. The entire bottom of the diff (minus the cover) was coated in it. What kinda worried me is it was slightly (stress on slightly) more concentrated by the drivers side axle, though no oil on the axle itself. However the gunk was pretty thick on the drivers side of the cover, I suspect that was the point where it was leaking through the cover/gasket. and therefore I think it is why the axle area was more concentrated in gunk.

This cover was allowed to leak for a VERY long time. The entire bottom 3/4 of my diff was soaked in oil and thick gunk before the cover was changed. I'm thinking they just didn't clean it since the new cover is dry and clean.

Last edited by LuckyAce; 08-01-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:19 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I recently installed a Ring & Pinion Gear and debated to use sealant or not on the gasket. I decided not to use any sealant but to just make sure all mating surfaces were cleaned very well and torqued all bolts equally. Not a drop has leaked from the cover and I had to change the diff fluid at 500 miles and I just finished a rear disc brake conversion where I had to pull the axles again. At the fluid change I re-used the same gasket and again no leaks. The last time I used a new gasket without sealant and not a drop has leaked from the cover.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:14 AM
Starting Member

Went at it with some brake cleaner to try to clean it up, lots of build up of just dark black mud. Got what I could off, still quiet a bit remains. Asked a mechanic friend and he said that it may never truly look "dry" again.

I noticed that the passenger side of the diff about where it meets the axle there is what looks to be a plastic ring, but there isn't one on the driver's side. What is this? Should there be one on the driver's side?

Old 08-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

My 2000 has a black plastic ring in that location that holds the parking brake cable.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:45 AM
Starting Member

Should there be one on the other side? I ask since the divers side is darker then the passenger side, thought maybe it was related somehow.

After cleaning it my guess is it just got more dirt on it somehow since what came off on the towel seemed like a thick black mud which was more concentrated on the drivers side of the diff.

Quick Reply: Rear Differential Cover Replacement