2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Rear Differential, Fuel Lines

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Starting Member
tkf5651 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear Differential, Fuel Lines

My rear axle is leaking differential fluid, and my Fuel lines used to be leaking gas. Not good.

I used some fuel injection hose to temp. patch the fuel lines, and need to find a hard line somewhere, becuase both lines are really corroded.

I am planning on replacing the cover, and putting new fluids in the rear differential tomorow.

I cannot find these parts online, or anywhere for that matter, so if anyone knows anywhere other than a dealership I could find them it would be a big help.

It would also be extremely helpful if someone had or could tell me how to find these part numbers, because tomorow I will be talking with the dealer , and I hate dealerships.

Thanks guys, I will try to take pics when/while I fix this thing so everyone can enjoy.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Rear Differential, Fuel Lines

They are actually quite cheap from the dealer and instock. They are also available from a number of sources online, but with the dealer price being ~$17 for the cover and ~$7 for the gasket, I didn't bother looking for them online.

Check out this thread (and the ones linked to):
Rear Diff. Service

The GM PN for the 7-5/8" rear is 12471370 and for the 8-1/2" rear is 26067595. I posted the PN for the cover gasket in the thread linked to above.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Starting Member

I just got off the phone with the dealer, I gave the man my VIN and he gave me back the following prices and part numbers.
they want:
$183 for all 3 hard fuel lines, (15109105, 15109102, 15023819)
$12 a peice for gaskets, (wouldnt give me the part number, ha)
$36 for the cover. (26067595)
I have found these are the MSRP prices from searching online.

I found everything for ~60% of that price on gmpartsdirect, but am unsure to thier shipping costs, ive never used them before.
they wanted $110 for all 3 lines, and $18 for the cover.

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

Also, forgot to add, Thanks that diy thread, I have actually used quite a few of the how to's you guys put up here, and will probably use some more.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Please use the EDIT feature to add information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Thanks!

Old 04-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Starting Member

Also, forgot to add, Thanks that diy thread, I have actually used quite a few of the how to's you guys put up here, and will probably use some more.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm... Unless you are lucky, I'm not sure they are correct in giving you the 8.5" diff cover... Take a look at the cover on your current diff and compare it to THESE PICTURES (coutesy of 4wheelnoffroad.com). Also compare the bolt pattern with the cover in my how-to.

And work the dealer parts guys over. They can give you much better prices. Take the prices from GMPartsDirect.com to them and see how close they can get. Tell them that you will be purchasing from GMPartsDirect.com if they don't get close, giving you a reason to buy from them.

As far as aftermarket alternatives, Summit Racing has a few, here's one of each (keyword 'differential cover'):
Mr.Gasket 9896 - Chrome (7.5/7.625) - $29.95 (with gasket & bolts)
Mr.Gasket 9891 - Chrome (8.5) - $29.95 (with gasket & bolts)

I am really doubting that you have an 8.5" diff... If you look at your cover and the top and bottom 3 bolts are in more of a straight path, then you have the 7-5/8" rear, not the 8-1/2". It is just VERY rare to have a 8.5" rear end. Not unheard of, just VERY rare.

As far as the fuel lines go, I would message an eBay seller by the name of s10warehouse and see if he has any of these lines available.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Starting Member

I was thinking the same thing on the diff cover, I was actually fairly certain that it was the 7-5/8, but this guy looked up my vin and told me it was 8.5 :/
I think it looks like a 7-5/8 based on the site you gave me, i will take a pic for you guys just to be sure.

Its kind of funny, i actually asked s10warehouse if he had any lines about 4 days ago and i guess all he has is the 2wd model, which he says is different.

Thanks for all the info, after seeing all this I am actually considering getting the Mr. Gasket diff cover, and trying to talk the dealer down on the pressure and return lines, and leaving the evap as is.

edit: sorry about the double post, I'm still trying to get used to this place.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Starting Member

This makes me think it is a 7.625, let me know what you guys think.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:59 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Sure looks like 7 5/8 to me. Also, your sway bar is behind your diff. Kyle, I also noticed in your rear diff service that yours is, too. Mine is in front of my diff (in a 2000). What's the difference?

EDIT: Here's my post with my experiences with the rear diff. The whole ordeal should be finished up by the beginning of this coming week...

EDITII: Errr...after looking at my own pics it looks like I may not have a rear sway bar. Can't go outside to check because the truck is in the shop right now...

Old 05-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Definitely looks like a 7-5/8" rear to me... Mine old bravada for a comparison in this thread:

Never have seen a sway bar in front of the axle on a 2nd gen, but I haven't looked under 2drs much that I remember any way...

Old 05-03-2008, 04:00 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: swartlkk
Never have seen a sway bar in front of the axle on a 2nd gen, but I haven't looked under 2drs much that I remember any way...
Ah, maybe it's the difference between 2dr and 4dr. Ok.

/hijack

Quick Reply: Rear Differential, Fuel Lines