2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

rear-end leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Beginning Member
jcarlson is on a distinguished road
Unhappy rear-end leaking...

Hey guys, I have a 2001 4x4 blazer. I noticed a few drops on my driveway right under my rear end today. I looker under it and could see that it looked like it was coming from the front(were the drive-shaft comes in) and leaking down to the bottom, then dripping on the ground. I think theres a seal in there right?? could be bad...sound right...easy fix?? thanks for your help

Old 05-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Most likely is the pinion seal. It is not too difficult to replace, but I say that having everything in my garage to do it easily... If you are using hand tools only, it can be a chore.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Beginning Member

ok thanks

Old 05-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Beginning Member

Im looking at 2 diffrent seals...they are for 2 diffrent ring gears. How do I know what ring gear I have. Thanks

Old 05-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You likely have the 7.625" rear end. Only ZR2 and a hand full of manual trans 2drs got the 8.5" rear.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Beginning Member

Ok....thanks man

Old 05-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Beginning Member

any other input on this job...is it pretty easy??

Old 05-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Depends on what tools you have available. With air tools, it is quite easy. Without, it can be "fun".

You need to start by making alignment marks on the pinion nut and shaft so that you can reinstall the nut to the exact same position. Once the marks are on there, take a picture of the alignment marks to record how many threads are showing beyond the nut. Then remove the nut, remove the yoke, and pry out the seal. Install the new seal then put the yoke back on. Tighten the nut back down so that the same number of threads are showing as in the picture you took at the beginning and align the marks.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

Before you even start and hope the Seal is your only problem, Chock the tires, put the car in Neutral, and see if you can push the driveshaft up and down right where it connects to the rear yoke. If there is 1/8th" of movement, you have other issues.
My next question would be..how long have you been driving with Low oil in the rear axle? It's pretty easy to wear the Outer rear Pinion bearing if the oil level was low.
In fact I always slightly overfill my rear axle.
Use a dab of loctite or nail polish when reinstalling the Pinion Nut. Even though the Seals have a rubbery coating on the Axle housing surface, I put a small film of RTV on that surface it lubricates it a bit and will seal the slight imperfections you may have made pulling out the old one. Also when pulling out the old one, make sure you didn't lose the Spring in the Axle. I 'm going to be doing the Pinion Bearings on my daughters Blazer soon. I am ready to Post a small question on that.

Last edited by Tony H; 08-25-2009 at 11:14 AM.